Mean Cats

kat thompson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a household of 9 cats. 2 are 8 years old. 1 is 6, 1 is 4, 4 are 3 and 1 is 1yr old.
All of the cats are mean to just one of the 3 year old cats. They chase her, bite her, and smack at her whenever she comes around. All of the cats are spayed/neutered. They are strictly indoor cats.
I just can not figure out why all the cats are mean to just this one cat. Other than that, they all get along.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought is that it could be competition over resources, and that your one cat is just more submissive than the others. How many litterboxes do you have? The general rule is one per cat plus one. You’ll also need to have several water bowls set up. Cat trees and perches are helpful too, so cats can get up and away from each other.

How long have you had this kitty? If she’s a new arrival, the others might feel like they need to “defend their territory”.

ssssupernova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, maybe she doesn't do kitty communication well? I have heard of tail-less and ear-less cats being attacked and bullied by other cats because they couldn't use those body parts to perform key feline body language signifiers of being friendly/non-threatening. Other cats would then think they were potentially aggressive and just pre-emptively attack them.

It might be best to rehome her to a single-cat household, I can't imagine how sad she must be living with 8 roommates who are always mean to her :(

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you had her seen by the vet anytime lately? I’ve heard of cats trying to drive away sick members of their group. She is probably fine, but it’s something to look at