Me VS My Room Mate Over Margo's Love

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I got Margo on Saturday and spent two days trying to connect and love up on her. 

Now my room mate is back in town and Margo is currently cuddling with her... Is it terrible to want Margo to love me more? Margo is MY cat (I pay for all of her stuff, plus the rent increase and pet deposit AND vet fees), and my room mate is graduating and leaving in May. 

Is it wrong to want Margo to love me more? How can I make Margo love me more than my room mate?

1iora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep her in your bedroom with you at night (assuming you and your roommate have separate rooms).  And if your roommate is treating the cat differently, try mimicking that behavior.  Eg - my cat picked me because I would avoid eye contact and walk past, whereas the other person in the house would approach the cat directly.  Cat now runs when others approach, but lets me (and only me) scoop her up.

Sometimes cats just spend a few months liking one person more than the other and switch back and forth... I had one that did that.

If nothing else, just be glad your cat is happy and secure with everyone.  Some people have roommates that treat their cats badly and so the cats stay as far away as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Keep her in your bedroom with you at night (assuming you and your roommate have separate rooms).  And if your roommate is treating the cat differently, try mimicking that behavior.  Eg - my cat picked me because I would avoid eye contact and walk past, whereas the other person in the house would approach the cat directly.  Cat now runs when others approach, but lets me (and only me) scoop her up.

Sometimes cats just spend a few months liking one person more than the other and switch back and forth... I had one that did that.

If nothing else, just be glad your cat is happy and secure with everyone.  Some people have roommates that treat their cats badly and so the cats stay as far away as possible.
Thanks for this advice! Margo left my room mate's room around 11pm to come and cuddle with me. Margo slept by my feet all night, and came and cuddled with me when my alarm went off. So far she's been crawling all over me, and I hope to keep it that way!

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 7 cats and the house rule is I need 3 cats with me in order to fall asleep every night. So my Momma Pooch sleeps right next to my head on her blanket and I usually fall out with my hand on her belly, sometimes Momma wraps my hand with her paws. Ryan sleeps next to my body and Sally at my feet. Matthew is a Daddy boy and sleeps with Jim every night while Virgil sleeps by himself in the front room, Rachel in the basement and the new kitten Sophie sleeps in a cat bed.

1iora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thanks for this advice! Margo left my room mate's room around 11pm to come and cuddle with me. Margo slept by my feet all night, and came and cuddled with me when my alarm went off. So far she's been crawling all over me, and I hope to keep it that way!
Great!

When we have pets we want them to have the best life possible, but it's ok to indulge in the desire that usually convinces us to get the pet in the first place =)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
make sure you're always the one to feed Margo. Not your room mate, not ever. 

Be the one to bring her the food, and when she's eating, pet her and praise her. Also see if she'll eat out of your hand. You've only had a few days, and she's still got a lot of adjusting to do to you.

Its good she's a social kitty and isn't always hiding when others are around the two of you (i have that problem with one of my cats)

Just be patient. And love and play with her. If you want to make sure she understand you're the boss, then keep her in your room for the most part, like at night, and sometimes when you go out for short periods of time.