Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how sweet! [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mccall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama kitty is still really wanting me around. She comes to get me, grabs my hand and insists on being petted. She will bite and grab at me if I try and pull away. Shouldn't she be in the nest constantly? I worry about the singleton getting cold. He is in a warm closet now, with a heating pad near the bed, not inside as it's too small a space and might overheat him. Its about 80 in there. Should she be roaming around? I can't feel any other kittens, she isn't acting as though she's in labor. The vet said we could come in when baby is 2 weeks old for shots and deworming but... I'm a worrier by nature. What do yall think? Is she behaving normally for a new momma? She is protective and responsive toward him but wanders off when he sleeps. Sorry, I'm rambling. I've been keeping vigil over Buttercup since Monday and haven't had much sleep!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's normal for mom cats to leave the nest while babies sleep, so try to relax about that. As long as she returns at regular intervals to nurse and clean him, all is well.

Mom is hormonal and seeking reassurance from you. She should settle down when her hormones settle. Is she eating well?

There is no need to rush in for shots and worming unless there's a problem. You did mean shots and worming for just mom, right?

mccall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reassurance. Mama is eating high quality kitten food.

Is deworming kitten at 2 weeks old not recommended? I am not sure what they intend to do, I was told to bring them in 2 weeks after. I only guessed they would be dewormed and have their first shots then. Mama is UTD on vaccines.

I have a seven month old male (fixed) that I have been keeping away from the new family. He and Buttercup are close but he plays a bit rough. Is there any chance he will intentionally harm the newbie?

Also, what color would you call the kitten? Sable, sepia, cinnamon, orange, brown!? I was told that Buttercup had a Siamese mamma. Does this mean he could be a pointed kitty? What do you think he will look like as an adult?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If mom has no worms, the kitten will not have worms.

Kittens are not vaccinated until they are 8 weeks old.

I would ask by phone what is on the agenda for that visit. If all is well, it is totally unnecessary to go in until the kitten is 8 weeks. In fact, it's not recommended because the kitten can be exposed to germs.

The kitten looks light orange to me right now, which some may call brown. StefanZ StefanZ
knows much more than I do about colors. He'll be along eventually! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Oh, about the 7-month-old male, he needs to stay away from the baby until the baby is bigger and out of the nest. Then, contact should be supervised. Buttercup can visit with him in another room though.

Last edited:

mccall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I will take your advice!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If its just one, you may perhaps want to consider to letting her be a foster momma?  It will make it easier for both momma and your granddau, to have more "littermates".

Just make sure the fosterlings are decently healthy, you dont want to draw some horrible contagion upon yourself.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the reassurance. Mama is eating high quality kitten food.

Is deworming kitten at 2 weeks old not recommended? I am not sure what they intend to do, I was told to bring them in 2 weeks after. I only guessed they would be dewormed and have their first shots then. Mama is UTD on vaccines.

I have a seven month old male (fixed) that I have been keeping away from the new family. He and Buttercup are close but he plays a bit rough. Is there any chance he will intentionally harm the newbie?

Also, what color would you call the kitten? Sable, sepia, cinnamon, orange, brown!? I was told that Buttercup had a Siamese mamma. Does this mean he could be a pointed kitty? What do you think he will look like as an adult?
Deworming at 2 weeks is a little early, although if the kittens are visibly infested 2+ weeks is OK, for example with a mild Pyrantel-preparates.

I suppose you did dewormed Buttercut?  So she is hardly heavily infested, even if the preceding owners werent good dewormers.

You can wait another couple of comfortable weeks, and deworm the kitten with Pyrantel.    I recommend it, even if Buttercup were supposed to be well dewormed twice.

The Buttercup herself, being slender, white, different eyes, I think she could get work as a stand in for a Khao Manee...   :)

Re the kitten, I think its best to wait at least a couple of weeks, to see more clearly how his colors does develop. 

Although I dont think he will develop into a point, he hasnt the typical looks.     Unless he is more fair in reality than on the pics.   If so, yes, he could be a hot candidate - newborn points do usually have such very light brown color all over.  Compared with their siblings they looks almost white if seen from some distance.