Maybe he'll learn?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flambe love to reach into the fireplace and pull out the "fake" ashes. We've tried everything but we can't keep him out of it.

I just lit the fireplace (gas log), and he wanted to play with the ashes. I think he may have burned his paw a little; I know he singed the hair on the tip of his paw.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Holly does that too. She'll sit in front of the fireplace and play with the fake ashes.

Never tried it while the fireplace was on (we've got gas logs too).

She may realize that if it's hot- you don't touch it.

Cheryl

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a real fireplace in our new apartment and since it's started to get cold I've lit it up a few times.

I'm really scared because Bean Bean has showed extreme curiousity. I know sometimes you have to burn yourself to learn not to touch something but I don't want a flaming furball running around the house.

It does have doors on it so I keep them shut when I'm not around but sometimes I like them open because it lets more heat into the living room. I feel like I am forever telling him NO when he sneaks over and tries to get a paw up in the fireplace.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless his heart, poor baby! And with a name like Flambe, he should be extra careful around fire.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

Bless his heart, poor baby! And with a name like Flambe, he should be extra careful around fire.
Ha! I hadn't thought of that!

He seems to be OK. He's such a fruitcake.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's okay. A little burn may help him remember not to touch it if its hot. I 'flambe-ed' Aya when she was about 4-5 months old. My old apartment had a foot deep window sillor shelf that was her perch. to walk from that to the counter to the top of the refrigerator she had to go over the range.

One day I flicked the gas on to heat something just as she launched herself at the range. Singed her fur brown all down one side. Thankfully only the fur. She jumped off just as quick as she could and thankfully has not repeated it since.