Maybe Cancer, Maybe Not?

PisicaRO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 8-year-old DSH who, up until recently, was the picture of good health. About 2 years ago, she started regurgitating food. Maybe once every 4-5 weeks - nothing too concerning. Tried a couple different food and diet options, but stayed pretty consistent (mostly dry, undigested food less than once a month). Slowly, the frequency seemed to increase. Less than once a month became once every 2-3 weeks. Fast forward to May 2018 and it had increased to 2-3 times a week. Brought it up with the vet each time who constantly said she was healthy and to try different foods, anti-nausea meds, etc. Everything else with her is normal (consistent weight, regular bowel movements of healthy consistency, normal appetite, normal disposition - maybe a little more sleepy than usual).

Fast forward again to August 31 when she suddenly vomits 3-4 times in a row in 3 separate episodes over the course of 24 hours - and then proceeds to vomit at least twice (usually back to back) every 24-48 hours thereafter. Get into the vet on Sept. 4 where they palpitate her abdomen (again) and do her bloodwork (again). All seems to be normal. Move forward with an ultrasound on Sept. 10 which finds her lymph nodes to be enlarged and so we aspirate.

Results come back "consistent with mast cell neoplasia." Get referred to an oncologist who orders a whole bunch more tests (x-rays, more ultrasound, aspirates of spleen and liver, CBC, etc.). And the results are...inconclusive. Lungs and heart are clear, additional aspirates are not consistent with mast cell, and generally no primary tumor can be identified. Vet cannot confirm diagnosis of mast cell - but also can't rule it out. We do a round of anti-parasitic meds just to be on the safe side.

So here's where I'm at now: oncologist recommends exploratory abdominal surgery to biopsy a lymph node, check the intestines for a tumor that the ultrasound couldn't see as the most aggressive way to move forward and the only way to confirm location/stage of cancer (if it's even actually cancer). OR we can try chemo first and recheck lymph nodes via ultrasound - but potentially miss a tumor in the intestines. OR try steroids and see how long she'd have with that route.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of something like this (mast cells in the lymph nodes but not able to find a primary tumor - or the lymph nodes WERE the primary tumor) - or a cat who had a bizarre reaction to something else that caused mast cell buildup in the lymph nodes? I'm feeling kind of lost after so many tests and each producing more questions than answers. I'm already $3k in on this with just the tests, and I honestly don't know if I can afford another $5k-15k in both surgery and chemo costs. If it is GI lymphoma, the info I'm finding doesn't give much of a positive outlook for long-term survival. Any ideas, experiences, etc. are welcome. I don't have many friends who've been in this kind of situation.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Is there a university veterinary medical department you could speak with?

Just to ask, is she eating canned food? Can you try raw such as Radcat or Primal?

I'm not a vet, but would you consider trying CBD oil? It has anti-inflammatory properties that could help and can inhibit cancer cell growth. (If you do just be sure to avoid hemp oil that's being sold as CBD.)

Also, with all this vomiting and the loss of nutrients, can you add some unflavored Pedialyte and/or goat milk to her diet?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

PisicaRO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No university option within reasonable distance for me. I don't have a car, so I'm limited to the one veterinary oncologist practice that I can reach via taxi/uber. Our vet oncologist already took a poll of some other vet oncologists, and this seems to be a very unusual situation.

She's on canned now, and I'm hesitant to switch to raw right off the bat. The more recent vomiting has largely been bile, and given her weight has been stable and her coat is still full and glossy, I'm not too concerned about loss of nutrients.

I guess what I'm struggling with is believing she has mast cell when only one test came back with that indication and so many other tests didn't, plus only one symptom (which has subsided now). I'd hate to put her through surgery and/or chemo on such a tenuous premise.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this mast cell stuff. If it IS mast cell, I hope something can be done, but we have had limited experience with this nonstop vomit/regurgitating.
(Those things BTW are totally different. Vomiting is a "process" and you know it's coming. (They stop, make a weird noise and motion (hoarking, we call it) and then bring up puke. Forgive my grossness.) Regurgitating is an "inactive" thing where they're walking along, happy as a clam, then they suddenly bring up a watery mess with bits of who knows what and it surprises us as much as it does them.)
I guess I'd ask how often does he do this and how many times per episode/per day? Is he still eating?
After that I'd ask have you given any dewormers, any flea medications or heartworm medications before this started?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi P PisicaRO , welcome.
By your username I think you are from Romania :)

Can I ask you what kind of tests have been done on the aspirate of that lymph node?
My cat had a suspect lymphoma, and the aspiration was used for cytologic tests, a PARR test and cytofluorimetry test. All tests came back clear.

Can you have a CT scan done on your cat? Usually this is the golden scan to assess if and where a cancer is. It is a non-invasive test, and it is, probably, much less expensive than a surgery.

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Sorry your cat is having troubles. While I don’t have specific advice I do think you should speak to your vet and basically ask what it COULD be if not lymphoma. I’m assuming there are various other possibilities. Ask which one is easiest to treat.

If you have gone as far as testing and finances can take you for now, and your cat isn’t in immediate danger - you could consider starting a treatment ( such as antibiotics etc) and just monitoring for improvement.

I say this as a person who once spent 4.5k on tests for my cat - vets really wanted to rule out lymphoma over other suspect diseases - and they did and I was grateful... but starting the antiobitoics for the other thing earlier would have showed results and been just as effective in hindsight.