Maybe a stupid question - should cats eat ham?

kathy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...

My Tigger is not a fan of most cat treats, and normally doesn't bother us when we're eating human food... except if it's ham. I've started giving her tiny bits as a treat if she behaves until we're done dinner. Is this okay? Someone told me not to feed cats ham, and when I asked why, his answer was 'look at all the ingredients on cat food cans and bags... there are none with any ham or other pork products'.

Is this correct... should I stop feeding Tigger little bits of ham? Are there no cat foods with pork products?

Thanks!

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No
they shouldn't... They can get pancurititis (sp?)
That can cost a lot to get them through it!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Phew, I'm glad I read this. Bijou loves Black Forest shaved ham and I've been letting him have a little every night. No more ham for Bijou or Mika.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emb_78

No
they shouldn't... They can get pancurititis (sp?)
That can cost a lot to get them through it!!!
Not only does it have loads of chemical preservative the fat in pork is not digestable and MY vet say YOU ARE FEEDING them WHAT???

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG! thanx so much for posting this thread i never knew that!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Geez, I'm glad I read this too!!, My boyfriend gives Reilly a bite of ham almost everyday when he makes his lunch!!. Is this true of all lunch meat??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

Geez, I'm glad I read this too!!, My boyfriend gives Reilly a bite of ham almost everyday when he makes his lunch!!. Is this true of all lunch meat??
the chemicals preservs yup if you arent getting it from a butcher who can tell you what is in it ... evan some natural stuff has yukkies..

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't there also the chance of round worm eggs in ham? I'm sure I heard that somewhere?

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dang I never knew this!!! Glad I clicked on this thread!

I fed my cats just a little bit of ham the other day (deli kind)... just a little bit. I give them chicken & fish all the time, I figured Ham was no problem.

At Christmastime they got a lot. I won't be doing that this year!!!

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always give Maggie May & Jazz a boo little bits of my low salt ham when I make a sandwich, not anymore!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure glad I asked!! And it appears this was a good question to ask for the sake of others members as well.

Thanks again!

PixieLove2017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My uncle had 2 Siamese cats and he only Fed him dry food and ham and One cat died at the age 20 and the second at whooping 24 . I also have 3 Siamese , I recently had to utilize my 21 year-old cat and after she passed her 15 year old daughter stoped eating and drinking and would not stop crying so I got her 2 kittens to play with . Long story short , my kittens would not eat wet food at all , I got them at 11 weeks old . I tried everything, mixing wet food with dry food . Heating , sprinkle it but every time the see it , they try to buried it . Like that is treasure or poop , I don't know which. One time when I was eating sandwich with ham and cheese they went wild . They would not stop crying till they each would have a piece . I remembered my uncle cats and start to give them one slice of cheese with one slice of ham . Split for 3 cats .Every day or every other day but only in the evenings after they already had there cat food . I ask my girlfriend who works at the vet , she sad it was ok as long as it only 5% of there daily cat food .

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi P PixieLove2017 and welcome to TCS!
This is a really old thread.. in fact 12 years old :D so those posting in it are probably long gone. But thanks for the input. :)