Maya and the cubs

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
George, are you a temporary holding facility until someone comes around that can provide more space for these big cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most are permanently housed there. The lions were originally to be temporary, but the site which was to take them fell through (long story) and they are now permanently at this facility. They are currently in our "rescue" cages while larger enclosures are being built. (The rescue cages are 15 x 60, not ideal but adequate for the short term.) The lions were housed four to a 20 x 20 cage where they came from, with two cages sharing a wall. (The lions apparently constantly fought across that wall, and all were beat up when they arrived.) The rescue cages will be redesigned after the lions are moved to larger enclosures. All these pregnant animals were not expected, but fortunately we do have some lead time for fund raising and construction. The adult males have been surgically steralized (vasectomies) so we need not worry about more litters.

The cubs will be divided into logical groups and, for the next few months, stay in the rescue cages as they grow. Another nearby facility (also a non-profit) is interested in a group of lions and we have worked out a tentative agreement for placement (technically a permanent loan, with some strong restrictions.) We have partial funding for some additional future construction and have potential sources for more, but it's a constant process. 4 rescue cages, including den boxes, cost $22,000 in materials only. A single full sized lion/tiger enclosure runs around $12,000 (lions are actually slightly more.) A single enclosure is for two tigers or a small group of lions (4 normally). We're able to weld up our own trap doors and have had a good bit of lumber and other construction supplies donated, which helps (we don't use lumber for the large animal cages, but do use it for den boxes, platforms and other enrichment, storage buildings, etc.)

Other ongoing or pending projects:
-We're to get a young Jaguar late next summer or next fall. I believe sponsorship is tentatively lined up, but not sure.
-The wolf enclosure is to be expanded, tentative projection $6,000 in materials (may be more.) I'm working on the funding (I directly oversee all canine projects.)
-We are scheduled to be sending one of our female New Guinea Singing Dogs to the Frankfurt (Germany) Zoo in exchange for one of their young males (this is planned to strengthen the gene pool.) Our NGSD enclosure will likely require another expansion. (All breedings are coordinated through the central registry held by the New Guinea Singing Dog Society.)
-We have very tentatively agreed to accept a retired pair of African Wild Dogs from the US program (controlled through Cincinnati Zoo) in late 2006 or early 2007.
-We are one of only 4 US facilities, and the only one not a major zoo, approved by the Republic of Vietnam to receive their unique and endangered Civets as part of their controlled breeding program. (The first two arrived recently.)

Money and volunteers drive everything. We always need responsible volunteers. (We do not allow anyone to go in the cages with the big cats, so don't ask (cubs are an exception, up to a certian age.)) We also always are looking for funding. As a non-profit organization donations are generally tax deductable, but people will need to consult their accountant or tax attorney to be sure in their particular situation.

Not fully up to date, but here's the web site:
http://www.conservatorscenter.org

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is WOW and I'll never complain about my dinky litterboxes. They must be a huge responcibility to care for properly!