May have to get an emergency root canal today

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki-FYI-

You can eat whatever you want with a temp. crown. You just need to make sure not to eat anything sticky-taffy, gum, caramel-stuff like that.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I've been told that my reaction to going to the dentist is well... unusual!
And Linda....

I have not met a patient like you! We would love you in our office

It is definately unusual

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Glad it wasn't so bad!

I absolutely love to go to the dentist!! I have an appointment on the 27th to get a cleaning, and I simply can't wait!

I've had the majority of my fillings done without freezeing actually.

My front top tooth was so damaged that the nerve was essentially dead so the root canal and crown were down without freezing. There was no pain of any kind.

I needed a small filling behind each of my eye teeth, and those were done without freezing. It took less than 1 minute to drill each cavity, and the pain was no more than what you feel if you have a tooth sensitive to cold. The pain stopped immediately when the drilling stopped. And it was a whole lot less painful than having spending the rest of the day with freezing working it's way out.

I had 2 smaller cavities on a back tooth filled. The dentist that I have now caters to cowards, and looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked him how long it would take to drill and he said about 1 to 2 minutes, and I said "Then don't bother to freeze it".
I just told him to be on the look out for my foot to wiggle which was a signal to stop and give me a break. So it took about 2 minutes. I wiggled my foot 2 or 3 times. And it was done.

I've had a couple of large fillings on back teeth that were deep and required lots of drilling, so I had freezing for those.

My dentist loves when I go because I'm one of his few clients that actually likes to go there. I tend to fall asleep in the chair, regardless of what is being done...cleaning, drilling, filling...it doesn't matter
Linda you're a weirdo! I'll trade ya! You can go back to the dentist for me today
I've got to go back today to get two fillings done. I'm about sick of all this going back and forth to the dentist (so is my wallet!!!)

I can't believe you got sooo much done without any kind of nocivane or gas- omg i would have stroked! My teeth are so incredably sensitive that i use Sensodyne 2x a day and even when i go to the dentist just for a cleaning- they have to numb my gums/etc with a topcial before they even start. I feel everything

Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Nikki-FYI-

You can eat whatever you want with a temp. crown. You just need to make sure not to eat anything sticky-taffy, gum, caramel-stuff like that.
That's good to know! I've been trying to not chew on that side at all just incase (And because it's still a bit tender). I've mostly been sticking to soft things like soup/etc so i don't have to chew quite so much. Today i'm getting the two fillings done on the opposite side thouh so trying to eat dinner might be interesting! After i get that done and get my perm. crown in a few weeks then i'll only have one more filling to go and all my dental work will be done with hopefully!

As much as i dislike having to go to the dentist because of the procedures/etc...i at least really like my denist and his staff- they try to be as painless as possible and are so sweet

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

And Linda....

I have not met a patient like you! We would love you in our office

It is definately unusual
I've only had one bad dentist experience.

The dentist I had gone to for years retired and turned his practice over to another dentist who took over his office. So I continued to go to that new dentist.

My first visit to the new dentist was for a checkup which resulted in the need for a filling on a back tooth for a deep cavity. I think my tooth actually cracked if I'm not mistaken.

I told him that when I have freezing I tend to need extra for it to actually take. He said he uses some kind of "new local freezing from Germany" that has a much better effect because it travels along the nerves to provide a much better effect. So he went ahead and froze the back tooth. After 5 minutes he came back and went to drill and I nearly jumped out of my skin! He had to freeze it again! And again! Not like I didn't tell him!

Anyway, when it was sufficiently frozen he drilled and did the filling. The filling was on the upper right and the whole right side of my face was frozen, my chin, my nose and a good portion of my left side of my face. I was in such pain afterwards when the freezing started to come out. It took about 12 hours for the freezing to work its way out and it felt like I had been beaten up while it was coming out. And for 4 days after the freezing came out every single tooth in my mouth felt like it had a cavity in it. I couldn't even put a tooth brush to my teeth because of the pain.

I needed a second filling done on the other side. He didn't want to do both in one visit because they were on opposite sides of my mouth. So I went back 2 weeks later for the second filling and told him the reaction I had to that "new" freezing. He said that sensitive teeth are a side effect of that particular freezing. I told him that I didn't want him to use that on me anymore and to use the standard novacain..

Because he had to stick me 3 times on the earlier visit to freeze the tooth, he gave me extra on the first freezing.

He did the filling and I went home.

The whole left side of my face was frozen, so was my ear, my eye (I couldn't blink), my forehead, my jaw, all the way around to the right side of my face and right ear to right under my right eye, and I was having a hard time swallowing because my throat muscles were frozen, so I had to keep my head bent forward and allow the saliva to dribble out of my mouth because I couldn't swallow for almost 12 hours.

The jerk used that same freezing he did the first time, even after I had told him to not use it because I had a bad reaction to it.

I'm fortunate that I didn't have an anaphylactic reaction to it that closed up my airway.

I went back and reamed him out and told him that he's lucky I hadn't died because of his stupidity.

Unfortunately he never would tell me the name of the stuff he used. All he said is that it's from "Germany."

I found another dentist after that. But after a few years he moved across town to a neighbourhood that I was scared to go to by bus. I found yet another dentist who was really good but moved to New Zealand about a year later. His partner took over his practice and I still go there.

So far as "gas" goes for a dental procedure. I haven't heard of that being done anymore. I remembe as a kid having to go to the dentist and getting "gassed" and waking up after everything was done. But as an adult I've never seen a dentist around here that uses "gas" on patients. So far as I know if you can't have work done with local freezing for whatever reason, once a year you can be booked into the hospital and have the cleaning and whatever other dental work is needed done under general anaesthetic in the operating room. One of the nurses I work with is so terrified of dentists that she has to be admitted to the hospital for her dental procedures on a yearly basis.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've only had one bad dentist experience.

The dentist I had gone to for years retired and turned his practice over to another dentist who took over his office. So I continued to go to that new dentist.

My first visit to the new dentist was for a checkup which resulted in the need for a filling on a back tooth for a deep cavity. I think my tooth actually cracked if I'm not mistaken.

I told him that when I have freezing I tend to need extra for it to actually take. He said he uses some kind of "new local freezing from Germany" that has a much better effect because it travels along the nerves to provide a much better effect. So he went ahead and froze the back tooth. After 5 minutes he came back and went to drill and I nearly jumped out of my skin! He had to freeze it again! And again! Not like I didn't tell him!

Anyway, when it was sufficiently frozen he drilled and did the filling. The filling was on the upper right and the whole right side of my face was frozen, my chin, my nose and a good portion of my left side of my face. I was in such pain afterwards when the freezing started to come out. It took about 12 hours for the freezing to work its way out and it felt like I had been beaten up while it was coming out. And for 4 days after the freezing came out every single tooth in my mouth felt like it had a cavity in it. I couldn't even put a tooth brush to my teeth because of the pain.

I needed a second filling done on the other side. He didn't want to do both in one visit because they were on opposite sides of my mouth. So I went back 2 weeks later for the second filling and told him the reaction I had to that "new" freezing. He said that sensitive teeth are a side effect of that particular freezing. I told him that I didn't want him to use that on me anymore and to use the standard novacain..

Because he had to stick me 3 times on the earlier visit to freeze the tooth, he gave me extra on the first freezing.

He did the filling and I went home.

The whole left side of my face was frozen, so was my ear, my eye (I couldn't blink), my forehead, my jaw, all the way around to the right side of my face and right ear to right under my right eye, and I was having a hard time swallowing because my throat muscles were frozen, so I had to keep my head bent forward and allow the saliva to dribble out of my mouth because I couldn't swallow for almost 12 hours.

The jerk used that same freezing he did the first time, even after I had told him to not use it because I had a bad reaction to it.

I'm fortunate that I didn't have an anaphylactic reaction to it that closed up my airway.

I went back and reamed him out and told him that he's lucky I hadn't died because of his stupidity.

Unfortunately he never would tell me the name of the stuff he used. All he said is that it's from "Germany."

I found another dentist after that. But after a few years he moved across town to a neighbourhood that I was scared to go to by bus. I found yet another dentist who was really good but moved to New Zealand about a year later. His partner took over his practice and I still go there.

So far as "gas" goes for a dental procedure. I haven't heard of that being done anymore. I remembe as a kid having to go to the dentist and getting "gassed" and waking up after everything was done. But as an adult I've never seen a dentist around here that uses "gas" on patients. So far as I know if you can't have work done with local freezing for whatever reason, once a year you can be booked into the hospital and have the cleaning and whatever other dental work is needed done under general anaesthetic in the operating room. One of the nurses I work with is so terrified of dentists that she has to be admitted to the hospital for her dental procedures on a yearly basis.
I wonder if I could find out what the stuff is......my boss travels a lot and is very knowledgable. He may know what it is.

I am so sorry! That is a scary experience!

We don't have nitrus in our office. The centers with oral surgeons do. We also don't put patients under general anesthesia either. We used localized for everything!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he only wound up doing one filling today. The tooth had decay almost to the nerve- so thank goodness, he cought it in time before i needed a root canal! He used the nitrus, topical numbing ointment and the novicane. I listened to my ipod the whole time so i wouldn't be as freaked out from the drilling.

It wasn't so bad at the time- but omg now my mouth is soooo incredably darn sore i can bairly stand it. I've had ice packs on my mouth all night and have been poping the pain pills he prescribed me. This totally stinks! My mouth was already sore from the root canal last week and the drilling/temp crown yesterday (it was also REALLY sore from the shot yesterday) and now on top of that i can't chew on the other side of my mouth and that side is sore too
I can bairly even open my mouth at this point. Dinner tonight consisted of banana baby food

I'll be glad when this is all over. I still have to get my temporary crown a week from next wednesday, and still need two more fillings

(Linda- your dentist story is aweful- i would have freaked out!!!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, i'm back from the dentist yet again today! I'm becomming a regular there

They put on my permenant crown today and did another filling on my top left side. That thing HURTS like you wouldn't believe too!!! OMG it's painful from where the novicane was given- the numbness wore off and now i'm just sore/hurting in that spot

Well, i'm 2 fillings a root canal and a crown down...all i have left now is one more filling next week and then my teeth will all be fixed! I can't wait to not have to go to the dentist again except for my next cleaning
I have to bring my ipod with me every time and crank it as loud as it will go because the drilling totally freaks me out