Maximum number of cats

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 1 year old cats. One very calm and easy going (male) other kitty female who behaves like diva. She doesn't like him and will not play other than fight. Would another cat (kitten) help or hinder the situation?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its hard to say with certainty but it is certainly very possible that the Diva will feel even worse by it.  Cat dynamics are complex however...certainly you would want to do a very slow and careful introduction.

How old are your cats and how long have they been together?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My male was friendly and laid back, and my female was a little diva like yours. We got a male kitten who got along with the male and they became buddies, but the female swatted at both of them. I think females enjoy bossing males and wouldn't like to share that with another female. But that's MY opinion! If I could do it over again, I would get TWO kittens so they can play with each other and not bother the older cats so much. The older cats do enjoy watching kittens play too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are right. This is first time I have pedigreed cats. My other cats were male and female from colleague who got them as kittens - adored each other and died at a ripe old age. Altho' these 2 are just months apart female cat would be fine as a single. Boy cat looks as tho' he would love to play rather than fight. My regret is not taking a sister/brother frm the same litter (20/20 hind site).

My husband is not convinced we need 3 cats.

Still wondering...

Thanks , Susan

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, husbands are NEVER convinced we need another cat! But remember they are like potato chips, you can never have just one! I think, the more the merrier!

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 1 year old cats. One very calm and easy going (male) other kitty female who behaves like diva. She doesn't like him and will not play other than fight. Would another cat (kitten) help or hinder the situation?
it certainly helped in my case. I'm owned by Rascal, the emperor, who completely ignored the Rogue
 when he was found hiding in the motor compartment of my car. I had to get help to keep this one occupied... in his particular case, one more kitten wasn't enough, had to get two (one for the chasing and one for the wrestling). Rascal is still emperor over everyone and either watches or ignores the circus (with the added benefit that he can have cats grovelling to him, and running if he glares at them).