Max always wakes me up so early in the morning

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always wake up hearing Max purring behind me while kneading my neck, head and sometimes biting my hair. I put him on the floor but he keeps on coming back, it irritates me because I can't sleep because of his needle-like claw, it hurts!

Mom tried to leave him outside the bedroom but he was knocking and continuously scratch the door. What should I do about it?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is normal cat behavior, as they will naturally be most active before dawn and around sunset (prime twilight hunting times for their species).

Doors are universal kitty anathema. I have had success placing a product called SSSCAT right behind the threshold of an open door.

This has a motion (actually heat) sensor that shoots a puff of air when triggered. The first or second time the cat will be startled and bolt the other direction. After, because it appears to the cat to be an omnipresent evil force, they simply avoid the area all together, unlike a door which they will reach under, scratch at, and meow through. Its important to keep it out of line of sight, as that way the kitty can't check to see if it is or isn't there first, so that later you don't have to keep it at that spot.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woke up briefly today because of a snow plow outside. Parker was on my computer chair but as soon as he saw my eyes open, he was on the bed, kneading my arms, legs, chest and snuggling into my face. (Not very pleasant since his really fine fur ends up in my nose and mouth, lol). I used to try to keep him out of the room but he INSISTS on being in. Sometimes I have to leave the door open a tad so he can come and go as he pleases.
I'm learning that cats really do own you. It's so hard to teach them to work around your schedules.

Ducman's suggestions of the Ssscat might be something to consider.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sleep with a fan on and the sounds of my kitties being awake doesn't bother me, as the fan drowns them out.

Baby Bonnie likes to sleep on the pillow ON my head.

The fan is mostly needed because Max likes to practice his yodeling at 4 a.m. in the stairway in the hall. He really enjoys the accoustics in the stairwell.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max could be doing this for a few reasons. 1 he could be hungry. 2 he wants your attention, to play with him.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you feed him on a schedule, and you're not already doing this, feed him before you go to bed so he'd not waking you up to be fed. We used to feed Albus in the morning and he quickly learned to associate us getting up with being fed, so he'd make the process a little quicker by waking us up.
We switched to feeding him at night and now he doesn't do that anymore.

If his claws are that sharp, have you tried clipping them?

Ducman's suggestion about the puff of air is good- when I've had cats that had no "bedside manners" and I had to keep them out, I just used a can of compressed air (like the stuff you use to blow the dust out of computers) and I'd stick the sprayer under the door. Do that a couple times and they'll leave the door alone! Just make sure they have toys to keep them busy on the other side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just read your comments, I should try your recommendations. Anyway I forgot to tell you that after kneading he would sleep beside me...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MysteryCat

I just read your comments, I should try your recommendations. Anyway I forgot to tell you that after kneading he would sleep beside me...
If he's kneading and purring, he may just need his claws trimmed, or you could try Soft Paws on him, they are nail caps that work pretty well. But claw trimming is not too hard, so I would go that way. He's just trying to get comfy, LOL

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have an automatic feeder which I fill before going to bed and set to open for 5 a.m.. That's pretty much stopped Jamie from waking us up at the break of dawn. He prefers dry, but there are also feeders with cooling elements you can get and use wet food.