Mauri canned food

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After about 3 weeks of being completely off of Mauri, Pinky seems completely fine (she had developed some sort of urinary problem). I won't be feeding her Mauri again, but want to find other canned foods to add variety to her raw diet. Someone mentioned Nature's Variety Instinct. It seems a bit high in fat. Any other low carb, high protein suggestions?
Maybe some of NV's leaner meats in the canned, e.g., rabbit or venison? 

Mauri gave my kitties very loose, stinky stools, despite introducing the food gradually and only giving a little. I'm sorry your kitty had urinary problems on Mauri.  I'm wondering if it was the gums in Mauri, high up on their list, that caused my cats digestive upset.  It was pretty obvious, opening up the cans and see the meat surrounded by those thickeners, yech. :(

What about Tiki Cat - not the fish flavors but their newer line?

http://consciouscat.net/2014/09/11/tiki-cat-launches-new-gourmet-carnivore-line/

Last edited:

pinkybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
L lisamarie12 Yes, the gums in Mauri were very worrisome to me also. I'm going to try to add a bit of Nature's Variety to Pinky's dinner tonight, and see how she does. I'm also interested in Tiki Cat's carnivore line. I'll have to see if my pet food store has in stock. What do you have your kitties on?

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L lisamarie12 Yes, the gums in Mauri were very worrisome to me also. I'm going to try to add a bit of Nature's Variety to Pinky's dinner tonight, and see how she does. I'm also interested in Tiki Cat's carnivore line. I'll have to see if my pet food store has in stock. What do you have your kitties on?
Our cats love Gourmet Carnivore! Our local store with Tiki only has the luau food so I ordered the GC variety pack online... it's great way to try it, though I didn't really need the fish flavors. Some of the flavors are a bit liquidy but the cats especially seem to like those.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PinkyBaby:

I have my two four year old cats on mostly Primal, both the freeze dried turkey and the frozen raw rabbit. The problem, however, is that my female cat won't eat any thawed raw, only freeze dried and I'm concerned I need to vary the meats. Both cats are allergic to chicken. So I've been using NV's rabbit for about 25% of their diet. Our vet diagnosed the chicken allergy. I may try again to reintroduce chicken, maybe via Tiki Cat, see how it goes but I'm not hopeful due to negative past experiences with chicken.

It's too bad Mauri is high in phosphorus, they are a new though and when I called and spoke with whomever it was that answered the phone at Nootie, he said they would remove "one or two of the gums". I see on this post maybe the phosphorus issue will be addressed as well. We'll see ....

Last edited:

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PinkyBaby:

I have my two four year old cats on mostly
Primal, both the freeze dried turkey and the frozen raw rabbit. The problem, however, is that my female cat won't eat any thawed raw, only freeze dried and I'm concerned I need to vary the meats. Both cats are allergic to chicken. So I've been using NV's rabbit for about 25% of their diet. Our vet diagnosed the chicken allergy. I may try again to reintroduce chicken, maybe via Tiki Cat, see how it goes but I'm not hopeful due to negative past experiences with chicken.

It's too bad Mauri is high in phosphorus, they are a new though and when I called and spoke with whomever it was that answered the phone at Nootie, he said they would remove "one or two of the gums". I see on this post maybe the phosphorus issue will be addressed as well. We'll see ....
Just letting you know there's a recall on Primal feline cat food. It's the frozen turkey nuggets but just be cautious anyway.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just letting you know there's a recall on Primal feline cat food. It's the frozen turkey nuggets but just be cautious anyway.
Whoa ---- say what??!!! When???!!

Urgh.... no wonder my female cat has had some soft and very smelly stools, this annoys me to no end.

Last edited:

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It c

Urgh.... no wonder my female cat has had some soft and very smelly stools, this annoys me to no end.
It came out March 13 but I ended up finding out by accident! (I was reading the latest news on their website because I feed the frozen chicken and salmon nuggets)

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oops

Oops, I hit reply too soon.

It's the frozen turkey 3lb bag of nuggets. It is
UPC # 8 50334-00414 0
Sell by date: 060815

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This batch has low thia
Oops
Oops, I hit reply too soon.

It's the frozen turkey 3lb bag of nuggets. It is
UPC # 8 50334-00414 0
Sell by date: 060815[/quote

This batch has low thiamine levels, which is very serious. If your cat starts vomiting and has neurological problems, rush to the vet!

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can't find the UPC then look for formula batch 060815 B22.

Hope this helps!

pinkybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is on Answers raw chicken. I'm also concerned about varying proteins in Pinky's diet. It's really hard to get raw cat food in my area, as most pet food stores cater to dogs. Answers only sells raw chicken and beef, and Pinky did not do well on beef. My only other option for protein variety is to feed canned. Pinky loved Mauri, but her body didn't! We'll see how the NV goes.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks JosieGirl, it affected their frozen turkey but not freeze dried, I'm guessing they tested both. The cats have always done well on Primal but something is upsetting one of my cats tummy, I will have to get a fecal test done if this persists, thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this article kind of goes with mauri food thread so sharing.  it's about exotic meats like possum, kangaroo, and if they are nutritious or just a novelty.

http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-are-exotic-meats-nutritious-or-a-novelty

it also brings up how beef may not be very good for cats, from the article >Take beef for example. Cats wouldn't naturally hunt cattle, so for a cat, it is an exotic food. In my professional experience, I have found that cats fed daily on beef have a higher incidence of asthma and allergies. Beef is a meat that is higher in histidine than other meats, and histidine can cause inflammation.³ Ingesting higher levels of histidine, over the long term, can result in a zinc or copper deficiency.⁴ Zinc is an important co-factor for digestive enzymes and for the production of hydrochloric acid, so it is very important in cats with IBD.⁵ Copper helps tyrosine work as a pigment factor in fur and a loss of coat color is one of the early signs of a copper deficiency.⁶ In my practice, we often see cats fed only beef developing a change in coat color from black to rusty brown.<

rummytummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My vet told me to get my kitties off Blur Buffalo as she has seen a lot of cats coming in with urinary obstructions and kidney disease who have been on it. We found Mauri and liked because one my kitty will eat the venison and bush tail and two because it doesn't have carregean in it. Now I'm reading its high in phosphorus, too high in carbs, and the gum is bad. Man is there any good food out there? Namaste is very picky and I need a little wet to smash her med in for her asthma and up until now BB was the only thing she would eat. I was happy to see she would eat Mauri but now I'm s are about that. What do I do now?

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. My vet told me to get my kitties off Blur Buffalo as she has seen a lot of cats coming in with urinary obstructions and kidney disease who have been on it. We found Mauri and liked because one my kitty will eat the venison and bush tail and two because it doesn't have carregean in it. Now I'm reading its high in phosphorus, too high in carbs, and the gum is bad. Man is there any good food out there? Namaste is very picky and I need a little wet to smash her med in for her asthma and up until now BB was the only thing she would eat. I was happy to see she would eat Mauri but now I'm s are about that. What do I do now?
I do use Mauri, but only occasionally --- my boys will only eat the Kangaroo....hated the brush tail and disliked the venison enough not to buy it again, but the kangaroo they both like.  Because of the things you indicated, (high phosphorus and high carbs and gums), I certainly would not feed it exclusively, but if you can use it along with other better, low carb foods, I don't think it would be a problem.  If Namaste will take her asthma med with this food, then I'd say kinda use it just for that and only as much of it as you need to get her to take the pill.  Is it a once a day pill or more than once a day?  Regardless, if you just use a small amount of the Mauri, a can should last several days (maybe even a week) and I don't think that small amount would be problematic for carbs or phosphorus.    Have you tried Fancy Feast Classics?  The Classic line is low carb and doesn't have carregean and most picky cats will eat it.  It's not the "best" high quality food, but it's better than a lot of foods. 

rummytummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do use Mauri, but only occasionally --- my boys will only eat the Kangaroo....hated the brush tail and disliked the venison enough not to buy it again, but the kangaroo they both like.  Because of the things you indicated, (high phosphorus and high carbs and gums), I certainly would not feed it exclusively, but if you can use it along with other better, low carb foods, I don't think it would be a problem.  If Namaste will take her asthma med with this food, then I'd say kinda use it just for that and only as much of it as you need to get her to take the pill.  Is it a once a day pill or more than once a day?  Regardless, if you just use a small amount of the Mauri, a can should last several days (maybe even a week) and I don't think that small amount would be problematic for carbs or phosphorus.    Have you tried Fancy Feast Classics?  The Classic line is low carb and doesn't have carregean and most picky cats will eat it.  It's not the "best" high quality food, but it's better than a lot of foods. 
thanks for getting back to me. Right now she is only eating a quarter of a 3 oz can of mauri. I sent all the numbers to my vet, a cat clinic in florida, to see what they say. No, namaste won't ear fancy feast. One of my other kitties eats the FF beef and liver as well as CD since he won't touch CD canned. He's done fine on that. All of our ferals we go out and feed eat friskies or fancy feast but they are very picky. You would think they would be happy we care for them. Lol
again thanks for your in put. Any other natural foods wo carregean and gum that u would suggest? Three of our other kitties love Weruva but Namaste won't touch. These kitties are going to make my hair grey. Lol

rummytummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help. Right now Namaste only eats a quarter of a small can a dat. She likes the venison and brushtail. I sent a note to my vet who specializes in cats to see what she says as well. I was so excited to finally find a food wo carregean and Namaste loves it. No, she won't touch FF classics. One of my other cats will only eat that along with his CD to get wet in him. Three others love Weruva. The ferals we go out and care for eat FF and Friskies depending on their moods. Lol these kitties are giving me grey hairs. Lol lol lol

jgentiel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently found this brand of food too... Mauri. Was fearful because my cat has terrible food allergies. She loves the Frost Fish and Venison, Mauri. Best of all, this brand of food has greatly helped her with chronic constipation issues (raw diet was a disaster for her constipation and NV did the same thing.) Sticking to this brand here on forward.

aimee d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I also discovered Mauri cat food.  It is free of grain, carageenan, potato and by products.  It was 1.09 per 3 oz can.  I'm not very stable financially, but I love my kitty like a human baby.  I bought 2 cans just to see if he would like it.  I got bushtail and venison.  So far he likes the bushtail flavor.  From what I calculated the carbs are 3.9% which is WONDERFUL!!!  I had a diabetic cat, and all of these things I now consider.  I can't afford another diabetic, unhealthy kitty cat.  I can't afford to stock up on the Mauri, but will incorporate it into his diet.  I use some of the low carb classic fancy feast.  Some disagree with FF, but it's the best I can do with what I have, and it is the better of the cheap stuff.

nutmegsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my first time visiting.  Forgive me if I am repeating information already reported here.

I noticed the topic of Mauri while searching and here I am. 

My story:  I have been feeding my cat Nutmeg the Venison canned food from Mauri but recently, I learned that sodium selenite is a questionable ingredient and can be toxic.  [Sigh.]  I haven't contacted Mauri to discuss this but plan to since I am concerned.  Nutmeg has IBS/IBD, and for the first six years of her life, we used Purina FortiFlora at our vet's advice.  She did 'okay' but her tummy still had inflammation.  Then I learned that Purina's FortiFlora contains animal digest... Oops... NOT good. 

Animal Digest (it's first ingredient) and is an ingredient that violates federal law.  The $10,000 question is--do vets know the legal definition of Animal Digest and that it is allowed to be sourced from dead or diseased animals? Hmm.

In light of that piece of information, we had to find an alternative for Nutmeg since Purina was using Animal Digest.  Upon closer look at FortiFlora by Purina, only one strain of probiotic was listed -- definitely not sufficient for optimal gut health.  While using the Purina,  I could tell if Nutmeg's tummy was inflamed just by feeling her belly. 

Then I heard about "Pet Essentials" probiotics.  The ingredients contained a number of strains for gut health so I ordered it since I was running low on the Purina.  (Good timing)

I cannot begin to express what a difference the Pet Essentials has made with her IBD.  Her tummy is no longer warm to the touch.  She has been doing wonderfully and far better than while on Purina.  Furthermore, the owners of Pet Essentials guarantees their product and they make a concerted effort to keep in touch with those who buy their product. 

For a long time I had to throw out the last quarter to a third of the dry cat food because of the residue that fell from the top of the bagged food to the bottom which ultimately irritated her intestinal health by the time we reached that lower portion.  With PE sprinkled on to the dry food, I can now feed Nutmeg the last of the food without her experiencing loose stools.  I am thrilled and so is she!  She is happier and more energetic than before.  I would encourage others to just try it and see, especially for cats who have IBD, but also for healthy cats. 

But I am very sad to report that sodium selenite is in Mauri's venison canned food. :(  That is a real concern -- FOR ME.  I may end up looking elsewhere for other food to replace Mauri's that has been a part of our diverse regimen.   

Fwiw, an excellent reference for pet food information can be found at Truth About Pet Food.  Susan, the owner, has done an amazing job with researching and reporting on multiple pet foods.  It's well worth looking at.  Since our government has let us down by allowing toxic ingredients in our pet's food and not monitoring the food more closely, Susan does an extraordinary job at alerting the consumer to what is happening in that area.  Just my one cent, fwiw.  Thanks for listening.