Mattie and Herpes

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to get the Famciclovir from Wal Mart Pharmacy 21 pills for $79. They are 250 mg. and will have to be cut in half. She got the first one tonight. He also wanted to put her on Terramycin ointment for the eye and I have to do that before bed. I crushed the half pill and put it in a dab of wet food. It took forever for her to eat it so I could give her some more food. I first tried the pill pockets that worked so good when my other cat was sick. Mattie would not touch it. Any words of wisdom for a good way to get this pill in her. If all else fails, I might have to cut them into fourths and use the piller.

I sent my vet an email with the link to the pictures of the cat with ringworm on its nose. I hope it will give him a different thought process than cancer. Also I sent him some links to information about using bovine lactoferrin. He will read all this when he gets chance and we will see what he thinks of these two things. I am just so hoping these meds will work for her.
I hope the meds work! 

How is Mattie with the "action" of pilling? I found that Sebastian actually didn't mind me pilling him as long as he couldn't taste anything. It was the bitter taste that sent him squirming and fighting and foaming at the mouth. I put all his unpalatable meds in gel caps. I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for gel caps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
goholistic goholistic I am crushing the pill and putting it in about a teaspoon of wet food. At first she wouldn't eat it. I sprinkled a bit of Forti Flora on it and that works. Now she is better and usually goes ahead and eats that much food. Then when I am sure she has eaten it, I finish feeding her. We have to learn how to out think them, don't we. The Terramycin ointment is working well. She has had it three times in her eye and it is much better now. This morning when I called to give the vet that report, his wife said, maybe even try putting a little of it on her nose if she would let me. I want so bad to see that nasal sore getting better. The vet saw the links I sent via email about the ringworm on the cats nose and using lactoferrin. We are keeping that as a possible option if what we are doing doesn't work.

Keep fingers, toes, paws, etc. crossed for me and Mattie.
We actually passed up a trip to Myrtle Beach this weekend with free tickets to the Bluegrass Convention going on there. Somebody has to stay home and take care of Mattie. :lol3:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
    I love Bluegrass too, that would be a hard one to miss but I know what you mean.  I'd hate to leave Mouse if he wasn't 100% and or I didn't know what was wrong and he was needing medicating.  

Excellent update on the eye,  I hope Mattie's nose shows some response too.
    That would be amazing.  Definitely got all fingers, toes and paws crossed for you here, or at least the paws would be crossed just now if Mouse wasn't curled up on my bed with an envelope tucked under his chin like it's his latest love.  

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
She has had a chronic herpes condition every since she came here and we adopted her. Her left eye runs most of the time. She gets lysine, 500 mg. two times a day. Recently this worsened and the vet put her on ten days of an antibiotic, Orbax and an eye salve. For the first time ever she has what looks like cold sores or fever blisters on the end of her nose. and in her right nostril. She has finished the course of the medicines for ten days. The eye is much better, but there is no change in the nose. My vet mentioned a biopsy of her nose, but I don't want to do that. I am wondering if these cold sore or fever blister looking things are also caused by the herpes. I have read about and antiviral drug called famciclovir used for herpes and nose sores in cats. Does anyone here have any knowledge of this.
My vet gave my boy Famciclovir for some sores on his face n it cleared it up.But in about a week or so they came right back.Thats why I had a skin scraping done 5/7/19.It came back NEGATIVE .But if it comes back again.Im going to get the PCR TEST OR BIOPSY.To see if my boy really does have herpes
Would have done that same day but vet did skin scraping.And she didnt want to stress snowball out anymore than she already had