Mast Cell Neoplasia

pingkclynxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to all, I just accidentally ran across this site and wanted to join and ask for conversation on this topic. I have a 17 year old Kitty named Lynx, I have a great vet who I take her to. She has an overactive thryoid and we have been up and down on her meds for 3 years trying to find the right dose. She has been vomiting quite alot for about 6-8 months now and I was reading baout Radiation Iodine therapy, so we opted to take her to UF to see if she would be a candidatae for it. Unfortunately we discovered she has Mast cell Neoplasia on her spleen, liver, kidneys and wall of intestines. The Internal med vet said a spleenectomy is a good option but is quite invasive especially for her age. I have never been one to say the value of life is less just because they are older, however the torment of a surgery is more of the question. I want to do what I can to give her the best care but also dont want to be selfish. I am not at a point to end her life, you would never know she has this if we hadnt done some testing due to the thyroid. She is active, eats well, loves well and loved well. The vet has her now on prednisolone and pepsid ac along with the methmasone for thyroid. I want to know if anyone has any experience with chemotherapy adding longevity without losing active life. If there is anything else I can get here as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, although I am so sorry for what brought you here. Generally speaking, chemo is usually handled quite well by cats, as the doses are small and not intended to cure (like with humans) but rather to extend, and give quality of, life.

You have an internal med vet, but have you consulted with one who specializes in oncology? Was that not done at UF?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do not think that the vet meant any judgment of her age. There are higher risks generally with surgery in any older animals. Often there are modifications that can be made with anesthesia, especially in order to provide a measure of safety and I think that your vet would probably be open to you discussing this with him.