marking territory??

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there,

ONCE AGAIN it's me, louise...with an issue with my naughty kitty flick. i was wondering if anyone has had any issues with female cats marking their territory?? i've found random pee spots around my house in all different area's. but they're "little" spots...like she's trying to just mark out her territory. she doesn't have an UTI's or any other health issue's. we also thought it might be her acting out as she REALLY wants to be outside, and as of late we've been keeping her in when we are at work and it's boiling hot outside. 

any suggestions??

stormysky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello sorry to read about the spraying, must be pretty perplexing. 

i guess the first question to get out there is whether or not Flick is spayed?  if she is and this hasnt been an issue before id say that her actions could possibly stem from being a bit anxious and insecure... if i understood correctly she used to be allowed outside but now due to you working and the heat outside shes not allowed out as much.. some cats dont take to kindly to a sudden change in their routine, also being unable to go outside and mark like she most probably used to has limited her options to spraying indoors. do you have a lot of windows at home or are there alot of other animals or cats around your area that may be coming into her territory or making her feel threatened. might want to check into that and try and find ways to help her feel more confident about her area. also she might not like being left alone so much, try spending a little more one on one time every time you get home to rebuild trust and confidence it might help curb her need to say im here im here!

with my Skyler who has access to a large garden here, when we have days where he has to be kept indoors cause of my having to go out what i usually do before i leave is try and play with him get him a bit tired out then feed him so i know he'll be dozing the rest of the day while im out. then when i get home i bring him out with me to the garden and let him roam a bit and remark his areas so he doesnt get to anxious and gets to do what he usually does. 

well thats all i can think of to suggest im sue someone will come along with something more interesting so lets also wait and see what else pops up, good luck with flick, is that her (your display pick) she looks so sweet and soft, like a pillow you just wanna squeeze. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there,

thank you for the quick reply. don't let the profile pic fool you haha that is our other kitty cleo. this is flick. 

we were planning on having both of them as indoor cats...and they were for a time. but flick started peeing on stuff (the carpet, clothes, the couch, THE BED) so we thought that she might be acting out, she just turned 1 in october so technically she's an adolescent. even before we started letting her out she would try and escape when anyone opened the front door or the back door. she is also very clever and would climb the security door and try and push the lever. so we though she has to go out. so when we are home we let her in and out all day. she definately prefers it outside.

my fiance and i are not home, usually from 7am to 6pm.....we tend to keep both kitty's in during that time. could it be that she's doing this to act out and get us angry enough to let her out? lol i know that sounds stupid but thats what it looks like.

both our kitty's are spayed and healthy. we have 3 litter box's located throughout the house. both cats have been brought up together so nothing to do with cleo.

HELP

stormysky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh my look at that pretty face, such nice colors... she looks like such a witty kitty planing t do mischief!

you do have long hours, wonder if that could be a factor?  peeing on the bed iv read can be a cry for attention since shes trying to mingle her sent with yours (this have any basis?) perhaps trying to make the indoor environment a little more stimulating for her to curb her need to go outside like give the idea its just as good in here as it is out there?  what does she do when shes outside (other than mark) does she like to climb or go into the bush or hunt, perhaps replicating and giving her the chance to exercise what she would normally do outside within your home might help her adjust. well im all out.. ill be keeping an eye on this thread though i hope some one more useful comes to the rescue. good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah we are blessed with two cute kitty's i must admit!! 

when she's outside she's roaming, climbs the fence, goes next door (she actually entered the neighbours house once and sat with her while she had a cup of tea <cheeky i tell you>), relax's in the sun.

when she enter's the back yard she plays with our belgian shepard, when that gets to rough she jumps the fence and goes to the front.

our other kitty cleo is a lazy fuzz ball that loves being inside and sleeps a lot. so i know there's not much fun there haha i honestly don't know.

i know when my fiance comes home she LOOOOOOVES sitting with him and giving him kisses (she's not to fussed with me though lol) but again....needs to be on her terms. she's not a lap cat thats for sure.

my ears are all open and willing to try ANYTHING......i'm always paranoid my house smells like pee lol