Margo's new Phobia of Cat Food!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor baby. She looks like she thinks it's going to attack her. Two of my cats are very particular and will eat only one kind of wet food, but they've never fought with the food they don't like. They just walk away and leave it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's the plate itself? Chynna is finicky when it comes to plates. I finally found one that she will eat from. It's plain white with a slight dip in the middle. It could be the shape and colour of the plate that is bothering her.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, both Nakita and Gigi have done that when they have been totally scared/unsure about a new object in the house. If I place a bunch of magazines or even a blanket on the floor they react that way. I don't think it necessarily is the result of having a previous bad experience with that item (from my cats experiences - no magazines ever jumped them
)But, they have never done that with food.

Try using a plate that does not have a pattern on it or can't reflect anything (she might see her own reflection when she approaches the plate ) and make sure it has a familiar smell to it.

Does she eat dry food? If she does, use the same bowl/dish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never thought of using the same dish as the dry food!
Unfortunately - it was a no go. She *almost* ate some wet food off the floor. She didn't want any "tidbits" from supper, either.

She's eating the dry like a pig, eventually I'll get her weird-ness back to eating wet food. I intended to pick up some other stuff to try today, but ended up snowed in - so will get some other canned to try whenever I can get out of the house again!