Many things going on, currently constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

noise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No poop last night. Kind of hoping there'll be a morning one, as I got 75ml of food in her yesterday. I want try to get to 100ml today. She's much more steady, so I think she just needed far more food than I was giving. I was just so worried about stuffing her too much with the constipation.

She just tried to meow at me, and it just came out as a rasp again. So that's odd, as it's been fine, since I last mentioned it. Her purr was weird yesterday, as if it had an extra whine to it, and she's had a bit of a whistle. Kind of the same sound when she panicked over being wrapped in the towel.

Oh, she did eat a full Churu to herself this morning, though! I might go grab some tiki cat velvet again to try again, since I know that's similar.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No poop last night. Kind of hoping there'll be a morning one, as I got 75ml of food in her yesterday. I want try to get to 100ml today. She's much more steady, so I think she just needed far more food than I was giving. I was just so worried about stuffing her too much with the constipation.

She just tried to meow at me, and it just came out as a rasp again. So that's odd, as it's been fine, since I last mentioned it. Her purr was weird yesterday, as if it had an extra whine to it, and she's had a bit of a whistle. Kind of the same sound when she panicked over being wrapped in the towel.

Oh, she did eat a full Churu to herself this morning, though! I might go grab some tiki cat velvet again to try again, since I know that's similar.
Thank you for the update, N noise , that's pretty good news! I'm especially glad to hear that she seems steadier.

Another similar food is Nulo mousse, which Ireland loves in the chicken/duck flavor. It's expensive, like Tiki, but the fact that she'll actually eat it makes it a bargain at twice the price!

noise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update, N noise , that's pretty good news! I'm especially glad to hear that she seems steadier.

Another similar food is Nulo mousse, which Ireland loves in the chicken/duck flavor. It's expensive, like Tiki, but the fact that she'll actually eat it makes it a bargain at twice the price!
Sadly, I can only find Nulo dry and wet food on local pet store sites, no luck on the mousse.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

noise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No poop, and she's started to seem very uncomfortable. Doing a little crouch, not really drinking, nor even playing with water, and not able to sleep again. I got to about 75ml of food, before I started to feel bad, and gave up on the 100ml goal. I'm really hoping it is just her having to poop, but if she doesn't poop tonight, I'm calling the vet in the morning, and getting her in. It's been since Wednesday night, now. Will update in the morning, since she does usually seem to go at night.

Oh, that's too bad. In case it helps, it's this one:https://www.chewy.com/nulo-freestyle-silky-mousse-chicken/dp/291691?utm
I have a feeling Nulo may be changing the packaging, which can cause all sorts of odd problems.

Here's hoping all's well with Squeak!
Could also be the local place's websites don't tell everything they stock, I've run into that plenty. Looks like if I don't find it around here, chewy's expanding their shipping to Canada, so maybe, someday. Thank you for the link.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she pooped overnight. Sometimes it can seem to take forever, particularly if the cat hasn't been eating much. I know that uncomfortable look. I also know that it's good that you're attuned to it because it's often like a warning system. This reminds me of the Feline Grimace Scale, perhaps you've seen it? It's very useful for assessing how a cat feel. I have trouble with the "muzzle" part but find it generally very easy to use to actually quantify how a cat is feeling -- I'm sure you'll find familiar elements.
Pain assessment in cats | Feline Grimace Scale

Fluids can definitely help. Maybe your vet would show you how to do subq fluids at home? We've done that with two cats now and it's much easier than it looks or sounds.

Fingers crossed that Squeak is doing better today.

noise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope she pooped overnight. Sometimes it can seem to take forever, particularly if the cat hasn't been eating much. I know that uncomfortable look. I also know that it's good that you're attuned to it because it's often like a warning system. This reminds me of the Feline Grimace Scale, perhaps you've seen it? It's very useful for assessing how a cat feel. I have trouble with the "muzzle" part but find it generally very easy to use to actually quantify how a cat is feeling -- I'm sure you'll find familiar elements.
Pain assessment in cats | Feline Grimace Scale

Fluids can definitely help. Maybe your vet would show you how to do subq fluids at home? We've done that with two cats now and it's much easier than it looks or sounds.

Fingers crossed that Squeak is doing better today.
No poop, so the vet got me in half an hour ago. She was playing with her water and drinking again, but I figured with missing a day of water, she might need some, and then they can check her stomach.

I was a little worried it was just the food being slow to show, but they close Sundays, so I didn't want to wait too long.

Oh, I hadn't heard of the grimace scale, so that is very handy, thank you very much!

I forgot they offered to teach us to do the sub q way back when this all started. I should ask again.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember to get some training on palpating her GI tract/gut as well........although a Saturday might not be the best time, especially if it's busy there.

We'll wait patiently.

noise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like everything is moving, so I was over worrying. On the bright side, the sub q seemed to get her energy up, and I did learn how to do that now, so I'll see it as all around positive. You were right lisahe lisahe it wasn't too bad. I'll be doing it every 2 days. Also, got cisapride, to hopefully help movement.

So, just waiting to see, if she'll eat on her own.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like everything is moving, so I was over worrying. On the bright side, the sub q seemed to get her energy up, and I did learn how to do that now, so I'll see it as all around positive. You were right lisahe lisahe it wasn't too bad. I'll be doing it every 2 days. Also, got cisapride, to hopefully help movement.

So, just waiting to see, if she'll eat on her own.
It's so easy to worry too much when a cat is constipated! I think I might have mentioned this earlier in your thread but I was beside myself when Ireland was obviously very constipated on Christmas Eve day... fortunately she left a lovely Christmas gift in an odd place. (With some weird yarn in it. 🙀) She seemed a little out of sorts yesterday, too, but she's fine. It's also worth keeping in mind that if a cat's diet is very meaty, they may not poop much: I've seen that as a sort of rule of thumb for raw-fed cats but I find it's true of our two as well, even though their food is all cooked or processed. Their diet is very low-carb so there's not much waste. I hope the cisapride helps.

I'm glad you learned how to do the fluids! The first time is a little nerve-wracking but it gets easier. One little tip that worked well for Edwina: if Squeak squirms, you might try putting her in a box that's just a little bigger than she is. All the better if there's a blanket in the bottom of the box to make her more comfortable. Edwina's box, by the way, was about shoulder-high, which was just right. This was one of those odd situations where we knew we had to give subq but she was in the box (because she's a cat!) so we just picked up the box and gave the fluids. And it worked! Subq really can be amazing. And it can really help keep a constipated cat more regular if they're experiencing a crisis of poop.

As always, 🤞🤞 for all of you!

noise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops, already noon. I've been half studying, half painting, so I forgot my update.

No poop, giving very watered down food about every hour, unless she's sleeping as she hasn't been able to lately. She's playing and drinking her water again, hopefully, she keeps that up to help things along. Did cisapride and 1\4 miralax, an hour apart first thing.

It's so easy to worry too much when a cat is constipated! I think I might have mentioned this earlier in your thread but I was beside myself when Ireland was obviously very constipated on Christmas Eve day... fortunately she left a lovely Christmas gift in an odd place. (With some weird yarn in it. 🙀) She seemed a little out of sorts yesterday, too, but she's fine. It's also worth keeping in mind that if a cat's diet is very meaty, they may not poop much: I've seen that as a sort of rule of thumb for raw-fed cats but I find it's true of our two as well, even though their food is all cooked or processed. Their diet is very low-carb so there's not much waste. I hope the cisapride helps.

I'm glad you learned how to do the fluids! The first time is a little nerve-wracking but it gets easier. One little tip that worked well for Edwina: if Squeak squirms, you might try putting her in a box that's just a little bigger than she is. All the better if there's a blanket in the bottom of the box to make her more comfortable. Edwina's box, by the way, was about shoulder-high, which was just right. This was one of those odd situations where we knew we had to give subq but she was in the box (because she's a cat!) so we just picked up the box and gave the fluids. And it worked! Subq really can be amazing. And it can really help keep a constipated cat more regular if they're experiencing a crisis of poop.

As always, 🤞🤞 for all of you!
Oh yes, I'm sure if I remembered the date though, that doesn't sound fun, as I imagine most vet's are closed then. Oh kitties and yarn D: At least, it passed. Squeaky did that once when she was really young as well, thankfully never again. She's on her 2nd dose, so we'll see!

I heard that's true of just wet food, too. She's always been a dry food cat, so I didn't know either of those. That's why I wasn't as worried until she started doing the crouch again.

Oh good plan! I still have a box for her sitting around, so I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the day continues to go well, N noise ! And that the fluids go well tomorrow, box or no box. You may not even need it!

noise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, I keep forgetting to hit post.

Tiny poop, but it looks pretty well formed this time! She went into the crouch pose right after scratching vigorously at her scratcher, so I'm guessing more will be coming.

Definitely needs to go still, as she's in and out of the litter box, and walking around.

I hope the day continues to go well, N noise ! And that the fluids go well tomorrow, box or no box. You may not even need it!
Haha, I might not! I guess having it around won't be terrible, since this is the 2nd or 3rd time she's gotten some.

Attachments

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I keep forgetting to hit post.

Tiny poop, but it looks pretty well formed this time! She went into the crouch pose right after scratching vigorously at her scratcher, so I'm guessing more will be coming.

Definitely needs to go still, as she's in and out of the litter box, and walking around.

Haha, I might not! I guess having it around won't be terrible, since this is the 2nd or 3rd time she's gotten some.
Yes, that definitely does look better. (And isn't it odd how their habits can be, so we know what's on the way?!)

Having a box around is one of those things that makes me feel more confident about giving fluids. I've also always taken out the instructions and followed them step by step. (That was confusing when we gave fluids to Edwina: the system we used for our cat back in 2013 was very different!)

I hope everything goes well tonight and again tomorrow with the fluids. 🤞

noise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have some sad news this morning. While giving Squeak fluids, she panicked, had a seizure, and like that was gone.

Thank you all for your kindness and support during this hard time. I hope we can talk again in the future.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, N noise I don't know if you saw my message or not, but I'll take it out here now.....

Oh my gosh, so fast.......

I can't imagine how you're doing.

I see something wonderful there, though.......she was right there with you, in your arms. We all will pass.......but, OMG, to pass like that? Really, what a blessing !

........will have to continue later on.

Love and tight hugs:redheartpump::redheartpump:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Squeak. In your initial post, you wondered if Squeak's time was coming, but you gave her every additional bit of care which might have seemed to help. I hope that you can take comfort in this and in the fact that she passed away quickly and exactly where she would have wanted to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.