Manx syndrome

jhud1105

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I recently adopted a Manx from my local SPCA. My family had a Manx when I was in middle school so I was aware of the issues it could have. I just had a different kind of special needs kitty that I had to put to sleep because of cancer. Damn Cancer!!! I found this rumpy manx at the shelter and she immediately stole my heart. She is a sweet and loving baby girl I have named Madeline (Maddie). I have had her for almost three weeks. I have figured out how to keep her stool issues in check; however I am having a heck of a time with her urinary incontinence. The Manx I had when I was in middle school only had stool issues and no incontinence issues.

Maddie's fine when she's awake but pees when she is sleeping. She sleeps on my bed with me and I have l had to wash my sheets every day at the laundry mat. All of my blankets have been peed on several times. I have bought pee pads and try to hold her at night in them. We go through about three pee pads a night when I am holding her. I have lined my bet with pee pads but she still seems to pee on the bed. I have tried to use diapers on her and she runs off and they fall right off her. I have bought her the "doggie" cover ups and she slips those off too. I love my Maddie so much but I am so exhausted cleaning up the pee. I have spent a fortune on trying to find things to help with her incontinence but I am starting to get strapped for cash. I really don't and can't see putting a healthy cat to sleep. She's just got issues, not an terminal illness. I also don't want to keep her in a cage all the time either. That's not fair to her.

I am going to try the baby onesies with her and the pads/panty liners. I am hoping that works.

If anyone has suggestions on what I can try for the incontinence and what works best for urine smells and cleaning, I would greatly appreciate it.

jhud1105

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions. I will check that site out and try baby diapers. I bought a couple cheap onesies and put one on her today for a little bit. I will have to make a small modification by her bootie area. Its too wide and she walks funny. Will be doing that tomorrow. She seems to be tolerating it for now. She acted like she couldn't walk or move for about 10 min but the got up and walked around and seems OK other then the weird walk because its too wide. Lol.

I never thought to express her bladder before bed. Don't know why because it makes so much sense!!! I will do that tonight as well. Thank you again. I appreciate it greatly! :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are all wonderful with what you're doing for these poor cats. It's not something I'd be able to do.
Your cats are lucky with their mummies.

lily19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this site, but what wonderful care you are giving  your furry friend, it just made me cry reading about it, I have never h eard of this before, but what love you are giving your furry companion. I know I just love cats have had them all my married life, we  used to have Siamese and have had quite a lot in our times, we used to raise them, but it was so hard to see them go, I could not do it anymore, We now get  our cats from the shelters and had a lot of them and loved them through the years. We had to have our last cat, who was a Siamese just before Christmas, he was only twelve y ears old but it was time as he was unable to eat. We now have two beautiful girls rescued and they are wonderful, we do not know their ages,, but one is a kitten almost a year we would guess and the other was a rescue cat that was taken home and then brought back again to the rescue so we adopted both girls, TsuLin and TusLily the loves of my life. My daughter is also a cat lover took in a stray who was pregnant and helped her when she delivered her litter, she now has seven cats she dearly loves. I have only just joined and love to see so many people loving their cats.

catrina love

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is our newly acquired "Manx Syndrome" girl. SHE came to us with the name Ed, I assume for special ed. Thankfully she doesn't respond to the cruel (in my opinion) name, so we can easily rename her. I'm thinking Lil Foo Foo because she looks and feels like a bunny. I have a lot to learn about how to care for her. I will be liking Colleendebra's Facebook page after this post hoping to learn. I don't know if she is incontinent, we haven't spotted any "accidents". What has been in the cat box is minimal, but we are unsure if it is hers or from one of our other many cats. We will know more about her when she returns from the vet this afternoon. She is there to be spayed, they were instructed to do so ONLY if it doesn't threaten her life, and if she even has the parts to become pregnant. She is TINY, I would guess maybe three pounds, she looks like a cat cut in half with legs reattached. She is an absolute doll, loves to be loved, and I am so happy and proud to have her. We have had her only five days.

catrina love

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Ed" update: She went to Clarkston Veterinary this morning to be spayed ONLY if it didn't threaten her life. A vet tech believed her condition was "Manx Syndrome" and not spina bifida, although upon googling I discovered that Manx Syndrome definitely includes spina bifida. I called a bit after 11am to check on her and I was told she could be picked up, she would not be spayed. X-rays had been done free of charge because she was so interesting and strange. We met with Dr. Cumberland that described her as "a freaky little cat" and she showed us the X-rays. Her spine is bent upwards, downwards, and side to side. She is BEYOND spina bifida or Manx Syndrome. She has never seen anything like it. She has submitted her X-rays to WSU and another more helpful service they access for a diagnosis. X-rays are supposed to be emailed to me and I will post them when received. She leaks urine and is constipated, she will be receiving a prescription medicine daily to relieve the constipation. So I will be sewing some diapers and modifying some preemie baby onesies to outfit her with. Still so very happy to have her, she is an absolute doll and a blessing to our family! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

catrina love

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and she only has about half the vertebrae she should have, even missing some thoracic vertebrae.

celticat333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, not sure if it's still pertinent here, but I have about 20 years experience with Manx syndrome cats & all of mine have worn diapers. I only take extreme cases. I have to express the bladder, help express the bowels some. My best advice to save you ALOT of cleaning & stress is diapers. The earth friendly ones are the best choice. You need to get a few sizes up from what you may think. My girl now is about 7-8 pounds, she wears a size 4. I also use a product called lantiseptic for her hiney. She never has any bleeding, diaper rash, ugly areas.... her hiney is in great condition. I also keep them on a grain free diet. That helps tremendously. When you put the diaper on, put it on backwards so the tape is fastened on the back area. You will need to pull it fairly tight so it does not just fall off. I have had fantastic success with all my manx babies.