Manx syndrome. What to do?

blixxa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

A few months after I had to put Blaze to sleep (thanks all again for your support), I went to the SPCA to rescue a cat. She is an 8 year old Manx x snowshoe. She is a sweet kitty and needless to say, I love her.

She started scooting a few days after I took her home. I took her to the vet, they emptied her anal glands and gave me dewormer just incase. She was still scooting a few weeks later (thankfully no streaks). I then started to notice that she does not sit straight on her bum, she moves it off to the side when she sits. Took her back to the vet where he then wanted to see if she was truly a manx so he did an xray. She is a manx and has spinabifida. The vet said that she seems healthy over all.

Today, I noticed that when she walks her back legs cross one another. When she stands still, her legs are side by side. She dosn't have an issue keeping her balance. One reason I just noticed this is I have been spending more time at home due to recently being laid off. Usually as soon as I got home from work she would be runing around (well, doing the manx/bunny hop) like a maniac and playing with me or curling up on my lap. She usually did not walk around.

She is still playfull and eats. She does not have any litter box related accidents.

I was wondering if any manx owners out there can give me some suggestions on what to do to make her more comfortable? I have her on Science Diet mature adult (dry and sometimes I will give her wet food), is there something else she should be on?

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just bumping this up for you.

Since she doesn't seem to be having problems, and she's 8 years old, I'm guessing she's perfectly happy as is
.   It's possible, though, that as she gets older, she may develop incontinence.  Maybe this thread will be helpful to you:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/278268/manx-syndrome