Manx cats do well on homemade chicken & rice, but have TERRIBLE, RANCID smelling stools on commercia

amyloug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi:wavey:! I'm new to Catsite, & am hoping that somebody can help me. Has anyone else had this issue? I adopted 2 manx cats about 1 month ago. They are parasite free, fixed, etc. They do BEAUTIFULLY on homemade food (boiled chicken & rice, with some added probiotic). Problem is, whenever I try to transition them to a dry food (Blue Buffalo, Nutrish, other sensitive formulas), they almost instantly begin to have loose, clear-the-room-stinking stools & gass. As soon as I return them to homemade, the problem resolves quickly. Otherwise, they've active, happy, healthy, no vomiting & have good appetites :clap:. Has anybody's cats experienced this and found a dry food that they do well with? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food is more difficult for kitties to digest and isn't the best choice for them health wise.  I know Manx kitties can be prone to digestive issues.  You could continue with the homemade diet if you make it complete and balanced.  There are ways to do that the easiest being adding a pre-mix.  The raw and homemade sub-forum has the info you would need to make a healthy balanced homemade diet.  http://www.thecatsite.com/f/65/raw-home-cooked-cat-food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyloug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Denise~ Thank you! I will read up on those. However, I work odd hours & sometimes am gone for the weekend. Ideally, I'd like to have the cats on a mix of homemade/raw supplemented with dry for the times when I'm not available.

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IIRC it is not good to feed raw and dry because the rates of digestion (amount of time it takes food to pass through digestive tract) is different between the two type of food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyloug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone recommend a brand? Thanks:)