Manny-Feral? You've got to be kidding!

jsmla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Manny is our new kitten. He was found in a barn at 7-8 weeks old. At first we didn't know where he came from but the owner has since told us that there is a feral litter of kittens in the barn after all. He had just never seen them because they're VERY wild. He's never seen the mother but we assume she's there because the two wild kittens appear plump and healthy, just really, really feral.

Except for Manny. We took him in because the barn owner told us that for over a week Manny came out to see him every day and kind of followed him around the barn. He just assumed that the kitten had been dumped there since he was like no barn cat that any of us have ever experienced. Now that we realize that Manny is probably a part of this feral litter how do we explain his behavior? He loves everything, absolutely everything, about being a house kitty. Manny's super friendly and very, very chill. His favorite thing in the world is a belly rub. He adores sitting with us and is extremely gentle with absolutely zero issues with anyone-human, feline or canine. For his own safety he's still sleeping alone in our laundry room at night (our older cat is NOT a fan) and he doesn't give us any problems over that. My husband thinks there must be something wrong with little Manny. He calls him the Forrest Gump of cats.

Is this unusal in a feral kitten? I did all kinds of research on domesticating feral kittens and made all kinds of plans on how we'd handle him. Now there doesn't seem to be any reason to bother. I don't think I've ever seen such a happily domesticated animal and he was like this from day one.

Jennifer

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In any given litter there can be a kitten that is simply more outgoing and adjusts better. Even in tame kittens there will be one or two that are always "more" . Each cat has it's own personality.

Of my three I have one who would be considered a little skittish - more like any normal kitten would be. She enjoys being petted, comes to me, meows at me, and is far to willing to walk right up to the other cats. Her brother and sister are more reserved and not showing as much interest in me yet. She's definitely their sister, though.

It sounds like Manny has adjusted very well. Keep him indoors, or never let him roam free, and make sure to control some things that could traumatize him (wild kids, loud noises, etc) and he should always be a good outgoing kitty.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It still may well be that Manny was dumped. There's really not way to know. But at 8 weeks, they can adjust to loving indoors real fast.

...are you friends with the farmer? Do you know if he plans to have the kittens spayed/neutered? If not, are you willing to talk to him about letting you guys take care of it? At least the work of the trapping and locating a low-cost clinc? We can help you there if you give us your location.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jsmla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does have his regular barn cats spayed. He just found out about the new mama cat this morning. We're really just assuming that there even is a mama cat since no one has ever seen her, just the kittens and those only as streaks of fur. Our vet does reduced-rate spay/neuter on barn cats so I expect he'll get her to take care of it. My husband owns a feed store and she does all of his cats.

We have had a lot of experience with wild cats over the years. Some have been friendlier than others but I have never seen anything like Manny! He positively revels in being a house cat. He's yet to hiss, spit or growl at anything. The way he behaved in the barn it's almost like he was looking for a nice cushy home. We originally planned to adopt him out when he was older but he has completely captivated everyone in the house, even my "dog person" husband who definitely did not want another cat. Yesterday the first thing he said when he got home was, "Where's my little Patroman Mancuso?"

Manny's full name is Patrolman Mancuso, He and our other cat (Iggy) are named after characters in John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces

This is one seriously cute kitten. I've had cats all of my life but this one takes the cake.

Jennifer

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is just too cute (his name and your DH!). It's always SO nice to hear about responsible farmers - we had to work our butts off to help people around her decide to let US spay/neuter their barn cats rather than just keep poisoning them.
Thus I ask the question when I'm not familiar with the situation.

There are amazing kitties and cats - and then there are those special amazing kitties and cats. I think one just adopted you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jsmla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if it makes any difference but it wasn't a farm. It's a very high-end horse barn and boarding stable. I think his customers are a bit more concerned about things like this. He has to keep all of the cats healthy.

Manny is currently playing with my Shih Tzu-too cute!

J

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jsmla

Now that we realize that Manny is probably a part of this feral litter how do we explain his behavior? He loves everything, absolutely everything, about being a house kitty. Manny's super friendly and very, very chill. His favorite thing in the world is a belly rub. He adores sitting with us and is extremely gentle with absolutely zero issues with anyone-human, feline or canine.
I think some cats are predisposed to be tame and seek out companionship from people, though I have now wide ranging data to support this.

I don't know Kasey's very early origins but I know she was subjected to poor treatment for years where she lived, pre-rescue; she would never know what to expect, some would be nice to her, others would be abusive.

I am surprised this did not make her mean, skitsh or antisocial. She has a real need for human attention, I "belong" to her now and she sticks very close to me.

She fits your description except for not hissing and getting along with other animals. She is a tortie, though. I had heard of "tortitude" but thought it was just a story, but in her case, she fits the classic description. She has settled in, here, since I brought her home in May 2008, her life here is a far cry from what it was before, I don't think she misses where she was

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no explanation for you either, but I think you have been adopted by a very special little kitty.

I
kitties like Manny (and men like yours!)!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so awesome that the barn owner took notice to Manny's friendliness and you adopted him! Eric's kitten, Bear, was from a feral litter as well. We found her on Craigslist, a woman who was feeding the neighborhood ferals fell in love with her because she was so friendly and new she needed a loving indoor home! Shes not 100% with just anyone, but Eric is her Pappa and she loves love! Just before we adopted her she was attacked by another animal, lost some back claws, several stitches in her back end, and lost her tail
(that's why we call her Bear). But she is so happy now, twitches that little nub aback and forth when she gets excited!

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Manny was a little stray that showed up at my door....clipped ear and all. Your description of your Manny sounds just like my Manny. So sweet and loving.