manic behaviour inex-feral now in home with 4 other cats

jackiek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have adopted an ex-feral who was tame with me but rather agressive to the other ferals in the group. She has been spayed and has lived in the house with my four other cats for 3 months. She has adapted to home life perfectly except for the fact that she gets very manic (especially at night) and chases two of my other cats (both neutered males who are the oldest of the bunch). One of them is especially nervous and dominated by the others and is chased by her incessantly. He has now taken to hiding outside and its worrying me that he might one day run away completely. I just spent 10 days away and put the new female in a cat shelter to protect the others whilst I was gone. Now she is back and I have separated her as much as possible from the others (especially the nervous male). Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. By the way, the others (three males and one female -all spayed/neutered live together peacefully.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I am not the most experienced on the board with feral or semi feral kitty's. I know that most of the time, they learn to get along, and there are a few cats who REFUSE to accept other cats feral or not. I hope someone with more experience has some options for you.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Jackie,

Please don't think I'm nuts, but I deal with ferals all the time and when they get rowdy and chase each and growl, I put on classical music really low (classical harp music works well) and they all mellow out.

If one cat is chasing the other, I pick the chaser up gently, kneel down, put the cat on its back, put my hand gently scruffing the neck, my other hand on the tummy tell it once NO and keep it there for 3 seconds no more, no less. They don't like it, it makes an impression and two, three times, tops they don't get into the behavior anymore.

Hope this helps!