Mandibulectomy

Jennifer1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, a week and a half ago my cat had a radical mandibulectomy for squamous cell carcinoma and I was hoping to find other people whose cats have been through this to get some advice. Did your cat learn to eat again? How long did it take? How soon did you introduce food? Thanks.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I am sorry to meet you under these circumstances. I've never been through this exact situation, but DH's "office cat" had to have a tympanectomy. We left his favorite cat food at the emergency vet's office, where he was kept for two weeks. He had a cone around his neck at the time and wouldn't eat for them. We went up twice a day to visit and feed him. I would advise consulting your vet as soon as possible to get the answers for your questions. Since your cat's surgery is directly involving the jaw, I understand this is a very tough situation for you. Is your cat still at the vet's office and on fluids? My guess is the vet should have recommended other options if there wasn't hope for a recovery and a chance at a fairly normal life. I wish you the best. Please keep us updated on your cat's condition. My prayers are with you both. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have known one cat that had it for the same reason.
The cat has a feeding tube in right? That is what you use to feed. With the cat I knew, there was no hope of her ever being able to eat on her own again. This was about 15 years ago. But I just don’t see it being possible.
It is a painful procedure and cats get phantom pain like people. Make sure they give you some decent pain meds for the kitty.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I presume, under the circumstances, your cat has a feeding tube? At least that enables you to continue to provide him/her nutrients, but still allow you to offer food by mouth when appropriate. I could find no related information on this site doing a search (sorry). It might be of benefit to join one of the forums related to cancer cats (see link below - it is free) and ask for guidance in getting connected to a more specific forum relative your buddy. Our best wishes and thoughts are with you and hope you will keep us posted.
[email protected] | Home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennifer1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's been home about a week now after four days at the vet. They told us some cats learn to eat again, but it could take up to three months. But didn't give any advice on reintroducing food. Yes she has a feeding tube. I saw a case study where only 12% of cats never learned to eat again, but maybe they only had partial mandibulectomies? She's on gabapentin for pain and currently tapering off prednisolone.

Jennifer1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep that's the study I read. I'll e-mail the surgeon to find out more about feeding her. He wasn't at her discharge, just the vet student.

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I was wondering if you had any new development. My cat might have to do the same surgery.

Jennifer1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I was wondering if you had any new development. My cat might have to do the same surgery.
Sorry about your cat! Squamous cell carcinoma? Not really any new developments unfortunately. It's been two and a half months and still not eating/drinking. They said it sometimes takes up to three, but I'm not optimistic. I'd get the surgery ASAP if you're serious about it. We kinda got the run around and by the time they did it the surgeon took as much as he could, but couldn't get clean margins. We got electrochemotherapy done to hopefully take care of the last cancer cells. Otherwise she is feeling good and doesn't seem to be in pain anymore.

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This means that you are feeding her through the feeding tube in the esophagus, right? How would you consider her life quality now? Also where did you get the surgery? I am in Los Angeles and it’s so difficult to find doctors that will even consider doing this. They all say “mandibulectomy does not work” but at the same time I see online many doctors with successful procedures on cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried asking for referrals to the specialty clinics like Animal Specialty Group, now owned by VCA, on Colorado Blvd in Los Angeles? There are others locally in LA and Orange County as well. I have never had this surgery on a cat, but did lose one years ago to oral squamous cell carcinoma. I agree that if you are considering this surgery that you need to do it as soon as possible.

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am moving as quick as I can. I noticed the symptoms (drooling) end of last week. I got the visit with the primary vet this Monday, biopsy and CT scan on Wednesday and I am now trying to move fast to find potential treatments.
I have already scheduled an appointment with the oncologist to consider chemio and radiation therapy once we get the biopsy back.
I have also contacted many specialty centers in the area but most of them just tell me “mandibulectomy does not work well on cats”.

My Frustration is that there are many sources online discussing successful mandibulectomy on cats with oral cancer.

Outcomes of eight cats with oral neoplasia treated with radical mandibulectomy - PubMed

Reconstruction of a mandibular segmental defect with a customized 3-dimensional-printed titanium prosthesis in a cat with a mandibular osteosarcoma - PubMed

I am going crazy trying to find a doctor who is familiar with these procedures.

Jennifer1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she has an e-tube. Quality of life is good I'd say. She still enjoys life, just would be better qol if she could eat on her own. Our oncologist was against surgery too. Kept pushing radiation even though online radiation alone had mixed results and surgery and surgery/ radiation was best. Her tumor was growing very aggressively and already very big. I dont think radiation alone would have done much for her. Plus it's many treatments and general anesthesia every time. Iowa state small animal hospital did the surgery. Maybe if there is a vet school by you they would be more open to the idea. I am very surprised that in socal the vets are so unwilling. It's true that cats generally don't tolerate the surgery as well as dogs, but my cat is in the minority of cats who won't eat again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am a little surprised as well that you can't find anyone in So Cal. Can you get to UC Davis or contact them for a reference?

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Jennifer, how is your cat doing? My cat may go into surgery in the next few days. I am so scared right now.

Jennifer1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Jennifer, how is your cat doing? My cat may go into surgery in the next few days. I am so scared right now.
So you found a surgeon! That's good. Gabby is still doing fine, but not eating or drinking. They did have to take her whole lower jaw. Hopefully if they caught your cat's cancer quick enough they might just take part of the jaw, that might make it easier for them to figure out how to eat again too. Gabby requires more care then the normal cat, but I still don't regret doing doing surgery. They discovered the cancer four months ago and it was growing fast, so she probably wouldn't be with us today without the surgery. I need to feed her four times a day, clean her feeding tube stoma, make sure her tongue stays hydrated because now it hangs out, clean her up because now she can't groom.

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear that Gabby, while not eating, is still doing well. For Holly we will know more on Monday. In theory they have to remove a big chunk of the lower jaw, they are talking about radical mandibulectomy. The left jaw is compromised and the right jaw is partially compromised. This evil tumor moves very very fast. She always did well, I just noticed some drooling a few days (3 or 4) before bringing her to the vet and, boom, the cancer was already all over the place in her mouth.

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jennifer, can you tell me a little bit more about the first couple of weeks when Gabby came back from the hospital? Holly just came back yesterday and we are taking care of her. Just wanted to know what to expect in the next few days in term of Holly's energy, pain management, etc.