mama seems ok with me touching her kits!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. I hope everything went well.
Out in the wild, the mom is not always able to take care of them properly and scientifically, and leaves them several hours at a time.  Sometimes even a full day.  

We had for example a couple of cases where a mom was rescued, but no visible new born kittens.  And so they let the mom out again, and she could apparently feed the kittens. Whom apparently survived, and got rescued later.    Probably not all, but still enough many to be a rescued litter.

So in a way, I do understand when you say then are a lot toughter.

The problem is, its as in the saying "with such friends they really dont need any enemies".   Its no wonder  those who survive in such conditions, do have excellent immune system and good healing meat, way above average.

These without do perish, as simply as that.

With home cats, we dont want the bigger half of them to perish, just because we couldnt give them good  but really pretty basic normal care.

So this with how tough they are, depends on what you compare with.   If enough desperate, we may hope somebody will survive even the most dire disaster.

But normally, we do everything to prevent these dire disasters....   :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It never hurts to have KMR and a 1 ml syringe on hand just in case. The emergencies seem to come late at night when stores are closed. If she is feeding them well, and you are not letting her out of the house, all should be good.

How are they today? :)

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It never hurts to have KMR and a 1 ml syringe on hand just in case. The emergencies seem to come late at night when stores are closed. If she is feeding them well, and you are not letting her out of the house, all should be good.

How are they today? :)
B blaqcats

bessismybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Out in the wild, the mom is not always able to take care of them properly and scientifically, and leaves them several hours at a time.  Sometimes even a full day.  
We had for example a couple of cases where a mom was rescued, but no visible new born kittens.  And so they let the mom out again, and she could apparently feed the kittens. Whom apparently survived, and got rescued later.    Probably not all, but still enough many to be a rescued litter.
So in a way, I do understand when you say then are a lot toughter.

The problem is, its as in the saying "with such friends they really dont need any enemies".   Its no wonder  those who survive in such conditions, do have excellent immune system and good healing meat, way above average.
These without do perish, as simply as that.

With home cats, we dont want the bigger half of them to perish, just because we couldnt give them good  but really pretty basic normal care.

So this with how tough they are, depends on what you compare with.   If enough desperate, we may hope somebody will survive even the most dire disaster.
But normally, we do everything to prevent these dire disasters....   :)
I couldn't agree more, well said.