Mama kitty only had 1 kitten and won't leave me alone!

Reynoldswrap71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My daughter's cat had one kitten at 4:12 this afternoon (it's 9:06 now). She has been driving me nuts ever since. I had to lay down on the floor next to her box for her to settle with the baby. She does not appear to be in ANY distress when I am with her but when I go to the other room, she follows,Lay's next to me and purrs, meows and just bit my cheek! This is not her first litter (she had 4 kittens about 6 most ago and we were late because of weather to her spay appt by 15 min so here we go again). I don't need comments about spaying please!!! I DO want advice. She is being very attentive to her baby and I cannot palpate any more kittens and she wasn't that big this time either. I am a labor and delivery nurse for people so I am bewildered. Any advice? My daughter's away at college and her cat hasn't really been too affectionate with me until the last month...

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just wants you to stay with her for companionship. She probably thinks she is going to have more, and just wants you there for reassurance. When she is convinced she isn't going to have more, she will let you go.

And welcome to the Cat Site! There is tons of information here, and while you're waiting you might want to check out some articles on pregnant cats.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the kitten acting content? Mom putting out milk okay? If all is well with the kitten, mom is done with the delivery,and passed the afterbirth and not in any pain then I can only think of two things. One is she needs extra nutrition. Kitten formula or kitten wet food might do the trick. The other is what the previous posts mention. She feels the need of your company. You can try laying down beside her for a while and definitely sleeping in the room with her tonight. She can’t leave the baby for too long or it will become too cold. I have put a cardboard box beside me in bed before to keep a mom in with her babies. Maybe just some extra food will satisfy her. We all sympathize.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The situation is quite common! If she and baby are OK no visible troubles, relax and play along as you can. Have a pallet near the nest.

You could perhaps get some more kittens as foster for mamma? One kitten has its problems.

Just be sure the orphans are reasonably healthy; they didnt become orphans because of some dire contagion. I dont want to bring Death into your family...
Ask at the vets around if they know of need of a foster momma. Or even shelters around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Reynoldswrap71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My daughter's cat had one kitten at 4:12 this afternoon (it's 9:06 now). She has been driving me nuts ever since. I had to lay down on the floor next to her box for her to settle with the baby. She does not appear to be in ANY distress when I am with her but when I go to the other room, she follows,Lay's next to me and purrs, meows and just bit my cheek! This is not her first litter (she had 4 kittens about 6 most ago and we were late because of weather to her spay appt by 15 min so here we go again). I don't need comments about spaying please!!! I DO want advice. She is being very attentive to her baby and I cannot palpate any more kittens and she wasn't that big this time either. I am a labor and delivery nurse for people so I am bewildered. Any advice? My daughter's away at college and her cat hasn't really been too affectionate with me until the last month...
Not sure how to update but, we finally got some sleep and the at 2pm tonight she had another baby! She seems quite happy and content and both babies are adorable and doing great! Maybe since this litter was so close to her last, it is small. With Covid-19 occupying so much, it's probably better! Thanks for the advice everyone. Ruby thanks you too.