Mama cat’s weird behavior

Arabella Adelaide

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it may not necessarily be weird, but my female cat has been trying to relocate her babies. This wouldn’t be a problem, except she’s putting them in impossible places to get to, and it’s constantly a struggle. On top of that, one of the babies has been groomed so much that the fur around it’s neck is almost gone. I don’t know why she’s excessively grooming one kitten. The only reason I can think that she’s moving the babies is because of other cats, but even when I put them in their own room, she still tries to move them. I’ve made sure that the room is warm enough and that there’s plenty of room, am I doing something wrong?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the babies, how many, and where are they now?

How old is the mother and do you have other cats in your home, in particular intact males?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is natural instinct for mother cats to move their kittens several times and to places that are well hidden and hard to access. Are your other cats fixed? As for the grooming, she is inexperienced and doesn't know that she's grooming them too aggressively or too often. The kittens may need a foster mom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arabella Adelaide

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old are the babies, how many, and where are they now?

How old is the mother and do you have other cats in your home, in particular intact males?
The kittens are 11 days old, there’s 6 of them, they are in a spare room we have in the house. I keep it temperature controlled so it’s warm enough for the kittens.

the mother was a stray *almost* feral cat we tamed and we’ve had her for about 4 months, so I’d estimate she’s about 9-10 months old.
We do have other cats, but only one male that is of breeding age. He is the father of the kittens. The two of them do not get along at all and he avoids the kittens for fear of the mama.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arabella Adelaide

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is natural instinct for mother cats to move their kittens several times and to places that are well hidden and hard to access. Are your other cats fixed? As for the grooming, she is inexperienced and doesn't know that she's grooming them too aggressively or too often. The kittens may need a foster mom.
I have one male cat of breeding age, and he’s the father. He is not fixed as of yet. How does finding a foster mom go? I’ve tried bottle feeding the kittens to supplement nutrients, but they will not take to the bottle.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can just post on social media that you are looking for a nursing mother cat to feed the kittens. I'd suggest only a cat from someone you know. You may be able to find a nursing mother at an animal shelter. You can feed and raise them yourself but the very best thing for the kittens is to be fed and raised by a cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason you are supplementing? As long as you weigh them every day and they are gaining they will be fine. The reason she is trying to move them and overgrooming is stress, and it could be related to her instinctive fear of humans, you have not had her long and she is too young to be a mother. Give her a dark box or somewhere she can hide and feel safe, that would help. Try not to mess with the babies much. If you do, do it in front of her. She is just scared and too young....oh, and get that male neutered, or you will have more kittens thanyoucan handle. If he is old enough to breed he is old enough to neuter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I totally agree with di and bob di and bob ! The mother and babies need a quiet room and even a closet in that room. If her nesting box is open, put a towel over 3/4 of the top for privacy. Put mom’s food, water, and litter in the room nearby, and do not let other people or cats in there for now.

Do get the male neutered ASAP so he cannot impregnate any other cats. Plan to spay this mom when the kittens wean around 6-8 weeks.

I agree the mom is young and frightened, and therefore stressed. Are all 6 kittens nursing well? If so, they do not need supplementing, but if they do, a syringe is easier.

Here’s a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

If mom can relax she will stop the over-grooming.

A Arabella Adelaide

Last edited: