Mama Cat Not Using The Litter Box

Bombshellbel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Mystic, gave birth on September 29th. She and the kittens have been doing very well, until last night. Mystic went in the hallway and pooped on a pile of dirty clothes I had laying in the floor waiting to be washed. Her stool was very runny, and I assume that is from her eating wet food, as I have just recently started introducing kitten food into the wet for the kittens. (Mystic eats all the kittens wet food, so I’ve been giving her wet food whenever I feed the kittens.). Today when I got home from work, I sat on the edge of my bed, and Mystic immediately jumped up and started to pee on the bed. There’s no telling where else she has gone since I had left home 12 hours earlier. The litter was cleaned out this morning, I haven’t used any new litter or introduced any foods she isn’t used to, etc. I plan on taking her to the vet on my day off, Monday morning. I was just wondering if you guys may have any ideas or suggestions as to what to do, or what could be going on with her.

Also, I am not sure if this matters or not, but before giving birth, I had her trained to go outside, so we didn’t even use a litter box. I had brought it back for she and the kittens to use until I could train them to go outside as well. She had been using it fine until last night.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anything else changed in your home recently? This sounds almost like a stress-reaction of some sort. Could she possibly be reacting to an animal outside of the house? With a litter to protect, that could throw her territorial protectiveness into overdrive. That said, it could also possible be an illness starting. Is everything else about her normal? Eating, playing, sleeping (not that she gets a lot of THAT with the kittens).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bombshellbel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing has changed. There are two male cats and one female cat that come up in the yard, but they’ve been there since she was a baby. She’s always played with them and we’ve never had any issues with them. Everything else seems perfectly normal. She, save for the one time, still poops outside. I do think you’re right about it being stress related. I guess I’ll just have to figure out what it is that’s causing her stress. She’s slept in the bed with me since she was a kitten. She even gave birth on my bed. Lol. (With lots of garbage bags and towels put down) it seems as if my bed is some sort of “safe haven” for her, so it makes sense that she is using my bed trying to tell me something is wrong. I switched the kittens to solely solid kitten food last night, bought a new litter, put another litter box out, and shut the door to my room. Maybe one of those things will help her. Thank you very much for your help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could have given you something more concrete to work with. As you begin to figure this out, please post what does and does not work. It will be invaluable to someone else down the line! And I'll still be here, cheering :cheerleader: you on!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bombshellbel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I most certainly will! You were a big help. Thank you again! ☺