Mama Cat Lost 2 Of 3 Babies And Isn’t Acting Very Motherly To The Surviving Baby

If you feel a cat is not taking the best care of her kitten, should you take over yourself?

• Only if she fully rejects him.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If the kitten is being fed very irregularly and is not being tended to

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No, mother cats always do the best job raising their youth

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eolundquist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all,
My cat Tuffy had a litter of 3 kittens last night. It’s her second time queening. She’s an outdoor barn cat and it took me the entire day to find where she had them, she didn’t hide with them once over the whole day. I finally found them close to where I’d set up her birthing box and two of the kittens were dead. One is severely underdeveloped and clearly died weeks ago. The other seemed full term and I couldn’t tell if it was stillborn or died right after birth. The remaining kitten seemed hungry and a bit cold. I pulled it from where she had them as it was a dangerous location and moved him to the safer box to warm and hope she would nurse. She seemed okay with this. The other two I removed and disposed of their bodies, I didn’t want them to affect the health of the remaining kitten. I thought all day she must have rejected her litter and they were dead somewhere, never expected this. The mom has seemed distressed all day and will only lay and feed the baby if I sit with her. The second I move she does too. This wouldn’t concern me if I’d seen her with the kitten today but she was laying outside and playing with the other cats all day. She is nursing now but keeps getting out of her box to check that I’m here or to sit next to me. I can’t sleep here with her and am worried she’ll leave the kitten in the night and he’ll freeze without others to lay with. My mom is in the middle of chemo so I can’t have cats indoors or id bring them in with me. I guess what I’m asking (it’s been quite the day sorry this is so long but I wanted to fully explain the situation) is when I should step in and help her feed and raise the kitten. I know it’s best if she can raise him but if this pattern of disinterest continues I’m afraid he’ll face a similar fate to his littermates. I know that she must be very traumatized. I don’t want to cause her any more stress but I really want this poor baby to survive. How long should I give her to decide she wants to be a mother?

PS I am getting her spayed next week so no more of this trauma will occur. I’m doing my best I promise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
How long should I give her to decide she wants to be a mother?
Not very much longer at all - as you noted, that baby needs warmth as much as anything. I know you are extremely busy and have a ton of things on your mind - but can you step in as soon as possible? --and our very best thoughts to your mom!

Can you try some music to hopefully relax her? MusicForCats . com, there's an App called Relax My cat, and there's even classical harp music that might calm her down.

In case you need more info;
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

How To Treat Fleas In Young Kittens

Also, these two websites have lots of information;

Saving Kittens — Kitten Lady

Kitten-Rescue.com

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The best is prob if you can continue to support her motherhood to max.

Can you arrange some heating gear? An IR heating lamp is perfect.

Also weigh the kitten daily to see it adds properly.

Otherwise the easiest is if you take over fulltime and handraise.

She hasnt no good motherhood instincts. A good momma would never let two dead corpses lay left in the nest.
She would carry them away or eat them to conceal any traces.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could get a large dog crate to keep mom close to baby for now? I think that would be better than taking the kitten.

I’m glad to hear you are having her fixed. If you can wait until the kitten is 4 weeks old and weaning, it will be safer.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a microwave you can fill a sock with rice and warm it. Put that in the nest box in case mom leaves during the night. I'd go on and feed the kitten. Change the rice sock for a new one when you do a night feeding - midnight and again at 3 am and at 6 am, hoping mom is doing some feeding. She should want to for her own comfort.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me say I’m sorry your mom is undergoing chemo and that your family is under such great stress! :vibes::grouphug:

I hope everything works out. I would suggest calling everyone now to see if they can foster the kitten. Some moms are just not good moms, and like someone mentioned before her mothering instincts are not there. Also it would be best for the kitten to be fostered with other kittens.

Until you can find an alternative foster situation I would hand rear him or give him a heat lamp, small stuffed animals to cuddle, daily weighting’s & supplemental feedings. It may be that the mom is not equipped to care for her kittens but can care for them with help. It sounds like she is depressed about her dead babies and is seeking comfort from you. *moms also help the kittens go to the bathroom (and disgustingly eat it to protect the babies from predators.) So remember the baby needs to go to the bathroom when he gets fed. Grooming the kitten can be great TLC for baby kittens, you can use a soft toothbrush to groom them. Unscented baby wipes work great to clean up their bums after they go wee.

:crossfingers: I hope she steps up!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry about your mother's illness and admire your courage to undertake the care of Tuffy and her baby under your distressful circumstances. I wonder how far from your home is the barn and if it is possible for you to have access to it during the night as suggested. Wouldn't it be less stressful for you to find a corner somewhere in your home for Tuffy and the baby?