Mama Cat Left Kitten In My Bed In The Middle Of The Night

Paris' human mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama had her babies 17 days ago and she has been an amazing mother. But last night in the middle of the night I felt something climbing my foot. After a minute of waking up I realized it was one of the kittens. I was very confused. It was only one and Mama kitty was in the box nursing the others. When I put the kitten back in with her she rolled on her back for a belly rub. Nothing seemed wrong with the kitten, butt everything I have been researching since, says that mama will do that if she senses something wrong with it. He was the first one born, by 12 hours, and the smallest, but has been gaining weight consistently like the rest. He is strong, and fights just as hard for a nipple as the rest, so I just dont see what's wrong. I'm a little worried. Its 3am and I cant get back to sleep now because I'm just worried something is wrong.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it may be something. Kitten not dying but momma wishes you to help out.
(dying kittens she usually abandons elsewhere - even kills and or eats up)
How many kittens are there all in all? Sometimes when there are too many at once, momma takes away one or two, to get it calmer. And rotates.
And where is the best place to leave them by - but with you?

Last version: cat mamma often leaves her kittens with the human mamma as stand in, as nanny, perhaps when she wants to strech out her legs.
I suppose this could be a variation of this.

Dont worry, but yes, do have your eyes open.

Mama had her babies 17 days ago and she has been an amazing mother. But last night in the middle of the night I felt something climbing my foot. After a minute of waking up I realized it was one of the kittens. I was very confused. It was only one and Mama kitty was in the box nursing the others. When I put the kitten back in with her she rolled on her back for a belly rub. Nothing seemed wrong with the kitten, butt everything I have been researching since, says that mama will do that if she senses something wrong with it. He was the first one born, by 12 hours, and the smallest, but has been gaining weight consistently like the rest. He is strong, and fights just as hard for a nipple as the rest, so I just dont see what's wrong. I'm a little worried. Its 3am and I cant get back to sleep now because I'm just worried something is wrong.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ,too, think she just brought you a 'friend' for the night. Perhaps for you to watch over it a little closer. My Casper used to bring me his step brothers and sisters in the middle of the night, scared me too, they were only days old. Your mama may be feeling a little overwhelmed just now. Give give her lots of love. She is inside, so the kitten won't disappear, the little one may need closer watching now, to make sure she isn't telling you something is wrong.