Mama Cat Issues

Annkoontz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens last night, but won't stay with them unless I am next to her, but I have to work 12 hour shifts this weekend and can't keep taking off. I missed two days of work for the birth and such, but can't keep it up.
I think that she is confused because she will jump into the box for a few minutes, meow at me, and than jump out. I have to sit with her and pet her to keep her with them.
There are other ppl in the house that can keep an eye on her, but they won't be as attentive as me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Can you give her some music (there's an app called Relax My Cat)? Maybe not so much a different nesting spot since that might really throw her off, but different bedding, with some of the old folded in so it smells the same?

Is she feeding them - are they piled up and sleeping?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annkoontz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She feeds them when me or my niece sit with her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She feeds them when me or my niece sit with her.
1. Have them confined in ONE room, so she cant roam around, and thus its natural to be with the kittens.
Also this way she will feel safer.

2. As the niece acts she too as extra grandmamma, let her sit there when you cant....

3. I suppose its summer where you are, its not cold? If cold its necessary to make sure the kittens have it warm, if momma tends to be such a wanderer.

Healthy kittens do manage to be left alone now and then. In nature its common, as momma must go out and find food.

And yes, its not uncommon unsure mommas require asist of grandma or granddad. :) Its bothering but also quite sweet!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, confine her to one room with the door closed for now. She will settle down in the next 24-36 hours. It’s normal for mama cats to be unsettled after delivery due to her hormones being in high gear.

A dish or two a day of KMR will help her calm down and give her calcium. Pick up a can at Walmart or the pet store. You can also offer her a scoop of plain yogurt.