Malnorished Kitty

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I trapped a kitten that was very skinny. It looked to be around four or five months old. Today the rescue lady who take's them to the vet told me it is four years old. I can't believe it. I'm like no way. I know malnutrition can stunt their growth, but I've never seen a full grown cat that is so tiny. It has a tiny kitten head and tiny kitten paws. Have you experienced TNR'ers come across this?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How much does she weigh? Malnutrition can stunt growth, but some cats are naturally smaller as well, so it might be a combination of the two.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure that when she goes to the vet she is treated for parasites with a de-wormer. My cat Cupcake is very tiny and she is two and a half years old, she only weighs 6 pounds. She is still kitten sized. I'm not sure if her growth was stunted during her first five months of life being a feral cat outside, or if she is just very tiny, or both. As long as the cat is healthy, size doesn't matter. I actually enjoy having a cat who is perpetually a kitten.
20180426_144935.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She felt like she was about four or five pounds. They said she has hookworms and she was in heat. They spayed her today. The poor thing looks like she's had a very rough life. She just recently joined my colony. I hope she will stick around when we release her, so I can fatten her up.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure that when she goes to the vet she is treated for parasites with a de-wormer. My cat Cupcake is very tiny and she is two and a half years old, she only weighs 6 pounds. She is still kitten sized. I'm not sure if her growth was stunted during her first five months of life being a feral cat outside, or if she is just very tiny, or both. As long as the cat is healthy, size doesn't matter. I actually enjoy having a cat who is perpetually a kitten.

View attachment 234320
She is very cute. :)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She turned out to be 4.4 pounds. One of her eye's looks weird and I wonder if she might be blind in that eye. We released her yesterday. I hope she sticks around.