Malls are dying!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

O/T how far west have you driven out from OKC? If you've driven I-44 out this way you've probably been passed the town I live in before. A boring town that's only boast is it's on the historic Route 66.
I've been out I-40 to...let's see...BARSTOW, where it ends! And out east to Wilmington, NC, where it ends. So I've been by your town.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one of each and I must say, I prefer the bigger mall. The outdoor, spread -out mall has lost several shops, but for the most part it seems the larger mall is doing ok. I shop at both, depending on what I want. I love JC Penney though!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Sad news, I HATE HATE big box stores/shopping, I find it really inconvenient, as I choose not to have a car. I
Ditto! I can't walk great distances, and am unable to walk from box store to box store, especially lugging bags with me. Also, it gets really cold here in the winter... I'm talking minus 40 and lower!!! Who the heck wants to walk between stores outside in the brutal cold and/or snow!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We basically have squat in our mall - JCPenney & Maurices are the big ones. The Social Security office is in the mall, as is the post office - if that makes any sense.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

We basically have squat in our mall - JCPenney & Maurices are the big ones. The Social Security office is in the mall, as is the post office - if that makes any sense.
Whatever space works. The Shepherd Mall was in a bad location and now houses some government agencies that moved there after the bombing. Whatever works, better than wasting space and letting the building fall apart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One historian said that shopping malls, consolidated schools, and freeways are what essentially destroyed the American neighborhood.

If malls close...do we have any hope for the other two?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Whatever works, better than wasting space and letting the building fall apart.
It's falling apart anyways. The roof in JCPenney's is always leaking - no matter how many times they fix it.
They can't help it either, it's mall owned so not up to the independent stores to fix it!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live right next to Washington Square and I don't see it going anytime soon. Each of the times I've been in there, there were alot of people inside! It's gotta do good to have 2 Starbucks in 1 mall!! There are a few empty stores and they just recently added a new wing in the last few years.

catsndogs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to love malls when they had privately owned stores as well as chain stores. When they evolved to all chain stores, they became less interesting. I see logistical issues for malls as the baby boomers age. As more people develop chronic pain or illness, walking a huge mall and parking lot becomes almost impossible, especially with a load of purchases. Perhaps they could offer a courier service -- as you shop, your purchases are transferred to a central site. At the end of shopping, the shopper and their purchases could be taken to the car via mall shuttle. The same shuttle could transport shoppers from distant parking areas to the entrance. And, how about moving sidewalks ala airports? Certainly not pretty but functional for elderly or challenged folks. Maybe inexpensive short term child care so busy moms can shop or have a peaceful cup of coffee? It could be sliding scale fees based on purchases. I still like the indoor mall concept for many reasons but they need to change with the times to stay competative.

sandra

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Yep, you heard that right. The trend to larger and larger shopping malls, taking up many acres of land, is coming to an end. There are a number of malls in our area that either have already died, or are well into the process. In fact, we just discovered this weekend that one that we used to frequent is gone, replaced by businesses and a distribution warehouse.

This is a mixed blessing. The replacement for the malls is the "open air" shopping area. All the same stores, but not under one roof, and with parking right in front of most of the stores. This feels "more local," but it encourages more driving from store to store.
They have "open air shopping area like you mentioned in hour from here in Havasu.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Working for the USPS, the internet has put a royal beating on first class mail. I have to wonder how much of an impact the convenience of being able to shop over the internt has had on the decline of malls. I'm sure it plays a part in it, you can order just about anything online and have it delivered to your doorstep.
A big impact, I'd say. Unless you're one of those "shop till you drop" people, you can't beat the convenience of online shopping, because you save time, gas, and often money.

Remember when the pundits said Amazon would never survive?

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i thought teens and pre-teens hang out in malls (not necessarily to shop but more to eye each other, eat mall food, be silly, etc), or do they now "hang out" on twitter?

i'm seriously out of touch!