Male spraying

kayywhitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now i have 2 three month old male kittens that ive fostered since they were 3 weeks and ive never had a male cat before so im not sure about spraying.

I was just wondering if someone could fill me in on spraying? I was wondering if its something they just do for territory? If maybe they wont know how to because theyve never been around another cat besides females? Or what i can do to prevent it?

Thank you all for your time and ideas!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure they are three months old? Usually spraying is marking their territory or something is causing stress. I've seen it in older kittens but not none under 6 months. Do they do it when they use the litter pan?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayywhitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im sorry, I havent experienced any spraying right now, but my mom has told me its awful and I wanted to make sure i prepare myself for it when it does happens and if i can possibly keep it from happening?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh,okay. The best way to prevent it from ever happening is to have them neutered when they are about 4 to 5 months old. The spraying comes with a very mature adult kitty, marking his own territory, it'll also keep them from fighting and wanting to find a mate.

kayywhitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so i shouldnt experience any sprayin? I got them nuetered at 2 months

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it's much less common with cats that are neutered young.  it also smells different when it comes from an in-tact adult.  

Since your kittens are already neutered; i wouldn't worry over it.  I do keep a bottle of Enzyme cleaner on hand for urine accidents; but there is a difference between spraying and accidents or behavioral inappropriate elimination.  

kayywhitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay awesome! Thank you so much!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, they're already neutered. You should be alright then, you shouldn't have any issues.