Male Siamese cat doesn't like my Sister, we reckon it might be because she has a male cat as well.

regnes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok Alphonse is a 14 month old male Siamese. He's been neutered, but he's still very much so an alpha cat of sorts, he has a very dominant personality. Now, he's always had a lot of difficulty with my Sister whenever she comes to town and visits, lots of hissing, he stalks her around the house sometimes to keep her in line. My Sister always says that it's probably because he smells her cat Pierre, also a Siamese. This never seemed like a valid claim because he's smelled other cats on me before and never made a fuss, and he's met strangers before who have their own cats as well.

However, she was over at her friend's house tonight, her friend has a cat who was all over her. When my Sister came home, Alphonse was miraculously receptive and even friendly with her. All of a sudden it's starting to make sense, the cat my Sister was with tonight was absolutely a female. I'm wondering if he just doesn't like the smell of other male cats. Like I said, he's an alpha cat, it would just make a lot of sense to me.

I'm wondering if there's any validity to this. And if so, I wonder if there's something I can buy to neutralize this, maybe a pheromone spray of some sort?

schrody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there! :)

Let's try to figure this out. First off, is your sister's meezer neutered as well? If not, there's your answer!

If he also is, such a behaviour is much more uncommon, but it's not impossible that your cat does not like the smell of other male cats, I suppose. Or it could be that he dislikes your sister (sadly much more likely) and that the night when she was around a female cat, the smell of a new cat was more interesting than being angry at your poor sis.

I suggest you reinforce the bond between your meezer and your sister. Have her bring high value treats (bits of ham or chicken for example) and give them to your cat whenever she comes home. That will definitely help! If your cat likes to play, ask your sister to play with him regularly. 

Hopefully he will learn that she is good news. :)

Try this for a few weeks before giving up. If really nothing works, then you can buy feliway spray: http://www.feliway.com/au/Feliway/Feliway-Spray

And spray some around your sister when she comes over. This product has worked miracles, but it's not a 100% garantee that it will work for you. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

regnes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hey there! :)

Let's try to figure this out. First off, is your sister's meezer neutered as well? If not, there's your answer!
They are both neutered, but the thing is, that doesn't necessarily mean the they have been de-sexualized completely.