Male Or Female Kittens Three Weeks Old.

Lulukelley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend and I just rescued these abandoned kittens a couple of days ago and we are having a really hard time telling if they are male or female. I also have a question about how much they should be pooping because they have not pooped for the last day and a half.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kmr are you giving? How much and how often? What is their weight?

You can always add 2-3 drops of coldpressed olive oil with each feeding, it helps some with constipation yet totally harmless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulukelley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using PetAg milk replacer plus for kittens and they have been getting it every four to three hours. They get roughly about a teaspoon each time and they weight almost three ounces.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Lulukelley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They both look like boys to me. Young kittens need to be stimulated to poop, which their mother usually does by licking their genitals. If yours are not pooping, take a warm, damp kleenex and gently wipe their behinds until they poop.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The amount you hint sounds as little, even if its adequate for 3oz.
I would suggest more often, every 2-3 hours.

How old are they? Could we get pic of the whole body?

They were either smallish as newborn or are undermourished...

The daily increase should be 10+ grammes, ie almost half an Oz...

Raw goats milk is good but this replacer ok if in powder.
PetAgs premade in liquid isnt terribly good. But their powder is excellent.

Lulukelley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The amount you hint sounds as little, even if its adequate for 3oz.
I would suggest more often, every 2-3 hours.

How old are they? Could we get pic of the whole body?

They were either smallish as newborn or are undermourished...

The daily increase should be 10+ grammes, ie almost half an Oz...

Raw goats milk is good but this replacer ok if in powder.
PetAgs premade in liquid isnt terribly good. But their powder is excellent.
They are three weeks old and I have been using the powder form of milk replacement. I did get them to poop this morning around 8:00 am.
They are next to a quarter if that helps any with determining their size.

Attachments

Lulukelley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They both look like boys to me. Young kittens need to be stimulated to poop, which their mother usually does by licking their genitals. If yours are not pooping, take a warm, damp kleenex and gently wipe their behinds until they poop.
We have been stimulating them and they’ve been peeing fine. We did get them to poop this morning. Thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
3 weeks and 3 Oz?? 10 oz would be more common... So even if they doesnt seem emaciated being decently rounded, I think you should give them more of this kmr. Easiest by giving it more often... At least daytime when you are awake.

That said, there happens miniature cats, but its not the most common.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens ought to be 4 ounces when they're born. . .are you sure about their weight? If they really are that underweight, that's not a good sign. What kind of scale are you using?

Now that I've looked closer at the pictures, even though I'm not used to using a quarter to size kittens, lol, they definitely look bigger than newborns. So I think they must weigh a lot more than 3 ounces. Perhaps the scale is broken. They really need more than a teaspoon of KMR at a time. They need 2 tablespoons of KMR per 4 ounces of body weight daily. So if they weigh as much a 3-week-old kittens should (about 12 ounces), they'll need 6 tablespoons each per day. If you feed them every 4 hours, even at night, that's 1 tablespoon per feeding. If you skip night feedings, they'll need more at each feeding to make up for that.

Do they have any little teeth poking through yet? If so, you can add a little Gerber chicken baby food to their milk to start to get them used to the taste of meat. They can start trying canned food at 4 weeks, although it might take them a while to get used to it so they'll still need KMR too.

They both look like boys to me.

Last edited: