Male neutered cat mounts other pets

d401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 8 y.o. male neutered cat (Kasey), the rescue neutered him at about 6-9 months old. We used to have an elderly, also neutered male cat, who passed away. Kasey and he were friends, but all of the sudden after living with us for 2 years, Kasey started mounting the other male cat, getting on his back and biting his neck. Then he tried to do it to my male neutered dog (who did not take kindly to it). So, a couple of months ago, Kasey's mother and sister were returned to the rescue, so I decided to take them in. It's been a bit rocky, his 11 y.o. mom is grumpy, but his spayed sister and he get along well. NOW, all of the sudden he is mounting her. He doesn't mount inanimate objects, like I have heard of some cats doing, but gender and species don't seem to matter (although I think he learned his lesson with the dog).

I do not know how to discourage this behavior. A friend told me to use a squirt bottle, but I don't also want to punish the innocent victim of his mounting. None of the articles online address this particular problem. His sister really wants to be friends, but they can only curl up together for a minute before he gets on her back. Kasey went a couple of years in my house not mounting anyone. I don't know why this even started. Any help?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing he just wants to show he is dominant in the household. We had one who would do this occasionally. We would try to do little things to make him feel superior. When placing the food dishes on the floor he always got his first, when we came home we would greet him first, etc. Just little things to make him feel special. He hasn't tried to mount anyone in a really long time. I don't know if it was the extra attention or not - he may be getting too old to try anymore
. Our theory was if we treated him like he was the boss he wouldn't be trying to prove it to the other cats. Good Luck!