Male neutered cat mounting his neutered brother

yshaw22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 6 yr old indoor cats who were both neutered at 8 mos and grew up together from age 10 weeks.  I've noticed dominant mounting behavior happening from time to time.  I'll find one mounted on top of the other, biting him on the back of his neck until the cat on the bottom wails. (I'm honestly not sure if there's anything more going on under that fur that I'm not seeing....)

Should I be stopping this from happening when I see it?  It's been going on for more than a few months and it's very possible I just never noticed it before.  I can't think of any reason why this would be a phase since they've spent their whole lives together.  

Thoughts / suggestions?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I would break it up since it sounds like the kitten on the bottom is crying out in pain.  Also, it's probably very stressful for the little guy to be bullied so much.  A sudden loud noise often puts an end to this kind of thing.  Try shaking a metal can with coins (or any hard objects) in it or using a burst of canned air.  Don't spray with water as this will only cause the kittens to distrust you and they won't understand anyway.  

The following article on behavior modification should give you some ideas.
[article="32493"]The Dos And Donts Of Cat Behavior Modification  [/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yshaw22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply!  I have been breaking things up -- as soon as I look at the perpetrator and say "no" he understands and will slowly stop and let go.  Afterwards I tend to hold the scruff of the perpetrator's neck while his body's on the ground and firmly repeat "no", as a punishment.  I'm not sure if this is right or not, but I really want this to stop.  There's no reason there should be a fight for dominance after they've been together so many years, I think.  

All this is upsetting because I'm genuinely worried that one cat is raping the other.  Is that even possible?!  

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
As I understand it, it's very unlikely that penetration actually occurs because the logistics of the act make it so difficult.  The cat on the bottom has to be cooperating and "assuming the position" which your male kitten is not doing.  You can, however, check for actual signs of penetration - redness and swelling.  Either way, I would discuss your concern with your vet.  If you see no indications of injury, you could probably avoid an office visit and just call your vet to ask if male on male rape does occur.

Even if it doesn't occur, there is still a problem with bullying.  It might help if you use a calming agent, such as Feliway.  It's based on a cat facial pheromone that is released when cats are happy and comfortable.  It's available in diffuser form or spray form. One diffuser covers 700 to 900 square feet so it's important to get enough to cover the area involved.   Many of our members have had a lot of success with this.  

There are also other calming agents that you can use, including Composure treats or liquids, calming collars, Bach's Floral Remedies or Spirit Essences.

Check out the following article for some info on helping reduce stress.  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/six-surefire-strategies-to-reduce-stress-in-cats

Another thing that might help is to increase the vertical space in your home.  Do you have a cat tree?  It could be a real help for the bullied kitty to have a place to which he could escape.