Male neutered cat, diagnosed with crystals in urine

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For struvite cyrstals, I would try Royal Canin over Hills.  I tested my cat's urine ph and it was way too high with the Hills diet. Since I've switched to royal canin, his ph is in the right range for disolving crystals.

My cat was on a home made diet and still had problems with crystals. Some cats do not concentrate their urine correctly. Possibly it is genetic. So a home made diet isn't going to be that helpful.

As far as adding urinary acidifiers  like methionine, you really need to order ph strips and test your cats urine ph on a regular basis. If you over acidify the urine, your cat can get oxalate crystals (which do not dissolve and require surgical removal).

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For struvite cyrstals, I would try Royal Canin over Hills.  I tested my cat's urine ph and it was way too high with the Hills diet. Since I've switched to royal canin, his ph is in the right range for disolving crystals.

My cat was on a home made diet and still had problems with crystals. Some cats do not concentrate their urine correctly. Possibly it is genetic. So a home made diet isn't going to be that helpful.

As far as adding urinary acidifiers  like methionine, you really need to order ph strips and test your cats urine ph on a regular basis. If you over acidify the urine, your cat can get oxalate crystals (which do not dissolve and require surgical removal).
Sarah Ann,

This is what my cat Spook has been on for 8 months with no crystals so far...Royal canin S/O, heard it  works better than Hill's ...

Last edited:

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Donna I respond to so many threads so I forgot that this (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262932/cat-with-possible-ibd-allergies) was yours. You have a response from both myself and GoHolistic and you might want to post the further information that you posted on this thread for more advice. We also have a lot of threads on IBD on the site so do take a look around. We have a great discussion going on right now on the topic in this thread and you may want to contribute (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262946/the-difference-between-ibd-and-ibs)
Seen it, thanks, sorry for some reason didn't get an e-mail  that there was replies to that thread