Male Kitten Took a 180 degree in behavior

zoop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So until couple of days ago our male kitten (3 months old) was extremely friendly. He purred heavily all the time. As soon as I or my wife sat on my chair he will just jump into our lap. Whenever I tapped on the sofa he will just see that as a signal to come and sit on lap. When we extended our nose/face to him he will touch our nose with his. Nonstop purring all the time and way too friendly for a kitten/cat.

So couple of days ago he was playing in his litter box spreading litter all over the place, I took him out of the litter box as he was creating a huge mess. As soon as I did that he ran away and went to his sleeping blanket. We have taken him out of areas that he should not be in before (like dinner table etc) and he never took an offence but it looks like this time he did.

So we have been observing him for the last couple of days and it looks like his behavior has changed a lot. He is eating/pooping/playing with us and the other kitten fine but he is not at friendly as before.

No longer he purrs as much and he doesn't want sit in lap or being held either. If we extend our face/nose to him he will put his paw in between. We tried treating him but he is saying no to treats (which he never did earlier).

I am not too concerned since he is still a nice but I am just curious weather one action (litterbox incident) may have caused him to change his behavior so much and amazed that he is still persistent and hasn't forgotten about it. Even my daughter will forget all about an incident in a few hours.

Have you has similar incidents?

How long do kittens remember?

How long does the behavior change last?

It is permenant?

Was it bound to happen anyway or do you think the incident triggered it?

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sounds like a typical cat teenager... lots of energy, no time to cuddle. The Rogue was like that at that age. He didn't grow out of it, but then he didn't get very old. Usually cats mellow a bit with age. I doubt there was an incident causing anything.

Is he neutered? If not, neutering will definitely help mellow him.

As  for how long kittens remember - depends on the kitten. Sometimes they remember but chose to forgive.

Maybe you can get him some more interactive toys so he rather plays with those than with the litter box?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

sounds like a typical cat teenager... lots of energy, no time to cuddle. The Rogue was like that at that age. He didn't grow out of it, but then he didn't get very old. Usually cats mellow a bit with age. I doubt there was an incident causing anything.

Is he neutered? If not, neutering will definitely help mellow him.

As  for how long kittens remember - depends on the kitten. Sometimes they remember but chose to forgive.

Maybe you can get him some more interactive toys so he rather plays with those than with the litter box?

Actually a couple of days ago he reverted to his original self. He is very friendly still but I can see him being distracted by play all the time.