Male cats not willing to live together

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I once again seek help from all of you...I have two male cats...one is year and half old and other is about seven month. They were very friendly and were great brothers sleeping and playing eating together. Now about 15 days back don't know what has happened to them. The elder one is aggressive to the younger one and chases him biting him so hard that he cries out. I have to intervene and stop the elder. Seeing this behaviour of the elder the younger jumps off the fence and goes to the neighbours house to spend time. He is also eating less...and when is hungry comes hiding from the elder and eats a little and runs away. He is also not coming at night. Staying either at the park nearby or to neighbours house. Don't know what to do. Have tried to calm my elder cat then he meows and licks me and hugs me but as soon as he sees the younger he just chases him away warning him not to come again. Please advise as why they are enemies now and behaving in such a manner. Here there are no good vets to consult infact no vets that look to cats...no one love cats here...they think them to be superstition and think that they bring bad luck so all the vets are for dogs...so do not know what to do..

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Have both the cats been neutered?..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No they are not and I do not think any vet will do here...for once I had gone to a vet and asked him he replied in negative..infact told me not to keep cats as pets...sorry but this is the way here in India...shockingly the number of cats as compared to other animals is very low here....People do not keep them as pets and if they see any cat crossing their way they stop going forward as consider bad omen...I do not believe in the nasty things people talk about cats here and I do love my cats and have been keeping them for the past 6 years...they are so loving and show same emotions as dogs...I also have home remedies for them if they get ill or injure themselves as I know here no vet will be willing to treat them....

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are places to get vet care/spay&neuter for cats in India, although it may require a trip to a larger city (I don't know if this is possible for you). You might try calling an animal rescue agency to see if they have any suggestions. Basically, unneutered male cats will almost always have territorial problems with other unneutered male cats. It may take a few years but it usually happens eventually. It may improve during the winter months, but otherwise it just might be the way things are :(.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, your seven month old boy has become a man and your older cat isn't happy about it, I'd say.

Is there any way you can get them to another vet who will do it?

PS:

Winkie, I've just had a read through one of your other threads and you mention having the address of a place that rescues orphaned kittens.  Perhaps they would know where to go to have your boys desexed?

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure if you live near this facility (http://bluecrossofindia.org/petcare-neuter-spay.html#) but they have a hotline and it may be worth contacting to see if they know a vet near you who will neuter your cats, as this will stop the agression. I agree with willow there are vets who neuter in India but you may have to go to a bigger city.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for the advise.

Blue cross of India is located in Chennai.....2500km from my place. Its too far from my place, and taking cats to a bigger city is not possible for me.....One of my friends suggested me to adopt a puppy dog in the house which will control my elder cat as the dog will be playful and dominating at later stage...do not understand this way introducing puppy to my cats...anyway lets see how long they take together. I have double storey house so today I separated their food bowls and bed. Elder cat has moved to the first floor and slept there and younger one is downstairs..hope this will make their fight less. At least they are sleeping now peacefully...

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I honestly don't think dog would be helpful in this situation.

I just wish there was some way of having your boys neutered

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Winkie, Franksmom was also suggesting that you phone the help line at Blue Cross of India and speak to them about your situation. Being an Indian organisation they should understand your dilemma and may know of a vet in your area or close enough who will do the operation. You may have to do a bit of homework on this but it will be worth it. Good luck!

I don't understand why the vets refuse to do the operation - if they don't like cats for whatever reason, what better way than desexing to stop more cats from being bred? 

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A dog won't be helpful. And yes I was suggesting you call blue cross to see if they have any information on clinics in your area. Have you tried doing an Internet search with your location and the words spay neuter clinic? If you live in a rural area you may have to search in the nearest city.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Franksmom....asked help from many helplines..but sorry no success....and I cannot travel with cats to far cities....My elder cat today again had a fight with young cat and he was hurt in the fight.. I intervened and was scratched too as between their fight I jumped in to save the younger...he ran away to neighbours compound and is not coming home though I have called him so many times...he is not willing to live with us it seems...My only worry is how and what will he eat...where will he live...it is rainy season here and heavy rains every day....he is only 6 months and I have seen people rude to animals here....I feel guilty as why I had brought him to my home...why I had taken him away from his mom...I had adopted him in January this year just for the sake of elder cat as he was alone and sad and needed a playmate as he had lost his mom....and at that time they were good friends and now they have become enemies...I feel sad and guilty that because of me he is now hiding next door neighbour who is a cruel man who had earlier locked my elder one too...I shouldn't have brought this beautiful kitten home and made him orphan like this...there he had so many siblings with mom and dad...at least he might have escaped this bully in my home....I cannot stop crying seeing him begging for shelter at other's place....cannot scold the elder as I never did to any of my cats for I know they are animals and they do not know what is scolding or punishment...they just don't have that wisdom to understand what is right and wrong. Hope my younger baby comes back home soon. Thanks to all once again.