Male cat's newfound aggression toward owner & infant

ladylambda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got off the phone with my sister in tears about her 2 year old make cat Bogie. She was coming home from the doctors (human doc!) because this had been the third time he legitimately attacked her when her baby cried.

Prior to the baby being born, my sister took all the precautions of introducing baby to the kitties by buying baby play sounds and cry sounds cd to play so the cats would get used to it.

The first incident was when my sister was very (showing big time) pregnant and reading on her bed when Bogie lept on the bed and clawed at her stomach.

Baby arrived and an extremely good, quiet baby at that. The second incident was when she was laying with baby on her bed singing, and Bogie again lept at her face this time as he was laying right next to her too, and bit her.

Both times the baby was not crying, but making light cooing sounds as babies do at play. Sure the cats notice this as their ears perk and they look, but Bogie was always the one poofing up and getting nervous. 1 year old Princesa (female) never cared much.

This time as mentioned, sent her to the doctors. She said the baby was cranky as he woke up, letting out a few little whines as she too was waking up from a nap. When she sat up and was about to retrieve baby, Bogie lept on the bed and went for her legs. "He was focused to hurt," she told me over the phone. "I was bleeding so much it was like when you nik yourself with a razor when shaving, it just didn't stop." That got her set on antibiotics.

The bizarre thing she was describing was how as Bogie was clawing her he was "screaming," like she had never heard before. Princesa lept on the bed just staring, like, what the heck are you doing! When Bogie saw her on the bed too, he then ferociously attacked her, "like he lept to kill" my sister choked on tears. Thats when she said Bogie, biting and clawing Princesa now, knocked her off the bed to continue the fight, as if two feral cats were fighting outside. She described it as horrifying.

She is now faced with either putting the male down or turning him over to authorities, but she is heartbroken. The whole ordeal is just so bizarre.

A temperment problem, perhaps? Because he is male? Thoughts please, and thank you.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Bogie neutered and up to date on his shots?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like displaced aggression to me. It may not be the baby at all, there may be something else that has upset him (intact male outside for instance) and somehow that outside threat has been associated in his mind with the baby.

If he is not up to date on rabies, of course, he is going to have to be held in quarantine for however long your sister's state laws requires, that will be hard on everyone.

But once he is in the clear, the good people here can help your sister reintroduce him into the household, treating it as a new cat introduction.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although I believe this thought will be unpopular here at Cat Site I do recommend re-homing this cat. Hopefully there is a good humane society where your sister lives.