Male Cats/Female Cats & Affection

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was also true of all my male - female mixed breeds. My males just were far more outgoing and friendly no matter if purebred or not. And they were different ages when adopted - kitten to full grown.

Ling (from our barn cats) chose us to stay. I honestly wanted to keep her brother because they have better personalitys. But Ling (5 weeks old) was insistant on staying - she was loud, mouthy and first one to sit at your feet and screem at you till picked up.

However, as an adult cat she is not a lap cat, hates to be held more then a minute and will lay with you when SHE choses to do so. Charlie on the other hand, loves the attention, the cuddles, and snuggling on your lap playing.

That's why when we wanted an ocicat - we insisted on male vs female. Ling's personality says she would not tolerate another female in the house.

When I was looking for a new household pet to join the family, I was looking at male cats - got a very laid back red tabby/white male who was a lovebug.

IMO I'd choose male over female every time. Now with dogs - its the oppisite - females dogs are nicer then males in most cases

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the variety of reactions in this thread!

I've heard the male being more friendly than females rumor, too. There is just such a wide variety of environments, way they were raised, cat to cat dynamics, that it's near impossible to be scientific about the whole thing!

My own personal, biased experienced is that the males in my house are more 'immediately' affectionate than the females. One of my male kitties, Bubba, will literally THROW himself down on your feet and demand to be petted. Another of my males, Pounce, refuses to let you sleep alone. And the last male in my house, Puffball, will follow you around, yowling until you pay attention to him.

The two girsl, however, don't demand attention in the same way. If you're sitting quietly, they will definately come up to you and rub their face against yours, and they're likely to just curl up at the end of the couch - to be near you, rather than on top of you

This has also reinforced my belief that male cats are big, bumbling lumps of fur (I mean this in the sweetest, loving way possible!), and the female are the more delicate, intelligent cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I am totally male biased, probably because in a large cat household, it is much easier to manage a lot of males than females. When females don't get along, they get very spiteful with each other. When males don't get along, they find their own space to reside in.
Oh, so they're just like people then??

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My males have generally been more loving. I had never had a female cat that was really loving until the 3 I have now came along. Pepper and Fluffy have been little love bugs since I rescued them, and recently Pearl can't seem to get enough cuddles. Scooter, my only male right now, has recently become a little cuddle monster, but he is still not nearly as affectionate as most of my past males.
I often wonder what goes on in those fuzzy littl heads.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told for years by my best friend that male cats were more loving than females.
There has been in a cat...or more...in my life from the day I was born.
All those cats were female, so I never had an experiance with male cats.
The cat I was raised with was the biggest sweetheart in the world.
Then I got Maggie, again another lover.
After Maggie passed away, I called this friend because I knew that a pregnant female had shown up on her doorstep several months before I asked if the kittens were ready and she said they were.
Two females and a male, she tried to talk me into taking the male again telling me how sweet male cats are.
I wouldn't hear of it, I'd always had female cats and they'd always been very loving.
So I took both of the females, Gracie loves to cuddle and wants to sit on your lap loves to be carried around and her Sister Lizzie could care less if she even looks at you...as long as you feed her that's all she cares about.

Took in a stray female...Annabelle...she's not fond of woman...we believe she was abused and the abuser was a woman, she LOVES men.
She cuddles with my Husband, she'll let me pet her IF she comes to me.
I can't make any moves to pet her or pick her up, she runs away.

Enter Elliott another stray and our first male cat.
I almost didn't take him in because he was male...I was SO scared that he was going to spray all over my house... we moved into our new home and three days later I saw him and loved him instantly...he's pure white and made me think so much of our sweet Maggie.
I came here looking for advice about my fears of him spraying and the fact that I couldn't get him out of my head...I guess I just wanted someone to tell me to follow my heart and bring him in and that he wasn't going to spray my entire house.

He had some issues with the girls at first and especially with Gracie..all those things have resolved themselves.
BUT, he is a big pile of mush.
He loves everyone, he's always sitting on someones lap or wanting someone to pick him up, he does the headbutt thing.
He's an absoulate doll.

So basically I wrote a book to tell you that I don't think that males are necessarily more loving than females I think it just depends on the personality of the cat.

msktty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't owned that many cats (I'm not that old), but I have been through my fair share (whether they were technically mine or my parents) and it seems that a lot of female cats can be affectionate and what-not, but are more wanting to give it on their terms. The male cats I've known just sort of take it whenever you want to give it and thus seem more affectionate. If that makes sense. I think I said that wrong. ^__^'

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had several cats over many years, and currently we have Dusty (should have called her Velcro), a stray that adopted us about 2 years ago. She is absolutely the most affectionate kitty I've ever had, though she is a two person cat (me and my husband). I think it is more about personality than gender. I also think strays and rescues are more affectionate because they are so grateful to have a loving home and regular meals!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had several male cats who were very affectionate, pretty much all the time, any time. My only female cat Alley (RIP) was more aloof and independent. She could be VERY affectionate, but it was on her terms and her time schedule. She hated being picked up and she was never a lap cat. Most of the time she slept at the foot of my bed, but when she was in the mood, she would snuggle up next to me, kneading the blankets, and want petted for hours it seemed! Then when she was done, she'd go back to the foot of the bed.
She was the most loving cat I ever owned, it was just on her terms, not mine