Male Cat UTI Help! : [

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome! Thanks, guys. You're all super helpful. : ] 
Do you recommend both corn silk over krill oil?
Either way, I'll be getting one of the two, hahaha.
Krill oil is very good general anti-inflammatory, and I've heard of it being particularly good for arthritis. It also provides Omega 3s. I have not heard of it being especially good for bladder inflammation however. Corn silk is very cheap, so I would add both if you can.

I do think that testing urine pH should be a high priority though. Without knowing that, it's hard to figure out any next steps.

atlcdn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat went through this recently and I ordered [online--paid extra for fast delivery] Pet Alive UTI-Free.  They are small granules...I put them in a pill pocket since my cat does not eat canned food.  They work! I think I gave them to him the maximum number of times per day and it didn't take long for him to start getting better.  I kept him on it for awhile, while he was getting better.  You can check user reviews on Pet Alive site.  http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/products/uti-free-cat-dog-urinary-tract-infection.html   Our vet seemed surprised about it.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neutered male, Bonaparte, went through a similar episode just over a year ago. After several vet visits and flushings of the bladder, he ended up having emergency surgery for bladder stones. He gets very stressed if he is not allowed out for any reason (hunt season, dogs staying next door etc) and will pee or spray out of the box. But various things I have done have helped.

First, he is on a veterinary quality urinary diet - not just a supermarket brand but a real urinary diet to actively reduce crystal formation. This is expensive, but if you can even afford a wet grain-free food that will help. No dry food. Second, he only drinks low-calcium bottled water since we live in a hard-water area. You might want to research that. Bottled water varies in calcium between 4mm and 75 mm per litre, so you need to check the labels. Third, after many experiments with litter boxes I found that he hates covered boxes, however much I prefer them. Now he has a box upstairs and out of the way that he uses when he inside, especially at night, and rarely pees anywhere else He also hates clumping litter, but every cat has preferences. Work with your vet, if you don't like what he says or he is not helping, find another vet, but be very careful and avoid OTC products - your cat has a dangerous life-threatening condition and will need continued professional help.