Male Cat Sometimes Poops Outside of Box

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is new behavior in Shermie but it's not consistent.  It started when I had my other cat Luna over (she lives with my mom currently because she's an awesome mouser and my mom missed her old kitty) but she stays with us when they're out of town.  Luna is pretty scared of our dog so when she visits she doesn't like to go far from the cat tree.  We started putting the litterbox right under the tree for her - it's a top entry box due to the fact that our dog eats out of it.  Normally we keep it in our spare bathroom's bathtub.  So, the first time we moved it - no problems. The second time Shermie (the boy) pooped a couple times in the bathtub.  I assumed that it was just his laziness b/c that's where his litterbox usually is. 

Then we got a cheap, small box and put it in the bathtub for him to use when Luna was over.  He would make it into the box sometimes and sometimes it would be outside the box in the bathtub.  We attributed this to him being kind of too big for the tiny box.  However, when we moved the normal litterbox back to the bathtub we notice occasionally that he's been pooping over the side. And one time he pooped on the complete other end of the bathtub behind some plastic boxes.  But then other times, he poops in the litterbox as normal.  It doesn't seem to matter if it's been newly cleaned or not.  We haven't changed the litter, box or anything else (except when we change the location).

I read that it could be constipation, but I check and he pretty much poops every day so that doesn't seem to be it.  I've heard that it also could be stress - last month we got married and went on our honeymoon where he stayed with my mom.  (Did it there too but only a couple times).  However, this pooping thing has been off-and-on for a couple months now, and now that we're back he's done it a few times.

Otherwise he acts normally.

Last edited:

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
some cats decide they do not like to pee and poop in the same box for some reason....

also, he may not be too happy that you're giving HIS litterbox to this other cat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
also, he may not be too happy that you're giving HIS litterbox to this other cat.
Interesting point.  He has shared a litterbox with her since he was a kitten.  They lived three years full time together without any problems and they see each other frequently.  They were never "best buddies" but do play together and I think he misses her for a few days when she goes.