Male cat peeing near his food?

timahsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so about 3-2 weeks ago, I noticed my cat was peeing on the carpet where his food is (theres a carpet, his food and water bowels are on them). I even woke up a couple days before that to pee and poop near the same carpet, but since I have other cats I wasn’t sure who did it. Anyway, after I figured who did, and I got concerned and brought him to the vet. I had my sister bring him since I had some school related things to do, and I was told they stuck a finger up his rectum (?) and they said he was perfectly healthy and okay.
Well, they basically said it might be some dominance thing he has going on, and I should put a litter box in my room to help him out (theres one in the first floor of the house, so now I basically added a second one in my room) since he does share it with the other cats. He was fine for a week or so, until I had to take the litter box out to clean it and since I was busy and didn’t have time, and their old litter box was clean, so I left it for 2 days.
I brought the litter box back today, and I noticed there was more pee on the food carpet, and it completely smelt like pee. So I ended up cleaning it and needless to say, there was a lot of it. I brought it back into the room after he was done and he peed on it in-front of me. I’m now more than slightly concerned.
More things to mention, his pee looked beautiful, very healthy, thank god. And my other cat has been staying more in my room than before, and they sort of dislike each-other. Might be why.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

timahsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for calling his pee beautiful, I just feel very relieved that at-least that was a good indicator.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something is going on in your cat's eyes regarding the old box. He doesn't want to use it and he doesn't want to use a dirty box. Even if the other box is clean, you'll have to clean the "new" box as well if you want to prevent accidents. It will need to be a priority for you if you don't want his accidents to become a habit to him.

The rule is one box per cat plus one, just as an FYI. So for example if you have two cats it would be 3 boxes (one per each cat plus one extra).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you using an enzymatic cleaner on the areas where he goes? If not, switch to one immediately. Although YOU won't be able to smell the pee with an ordinary cleaner, HE can, and will be attracted back to that spot.

timahsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something is going on in your cat's eyes regarding the old box. He doesn't want to use it and he doesn't want to use a dirty box. Even if the other box is clean, you'll have to clean the "new" box as well if you want to prevent accidents. It will need to be a priority for you if you don't want his accidents to become a habit to him.

The rule is one box per cat plus one, just as an FYI. So for example if you have two cats it would be 3 boxes (one per each cat plus one extra).
I’m not sure what his issue with the old box is, I’ll check everything’s okay when I’m back home. I do clean both boxes (as in wipe it down, put soap, water etc) and fill it with new litter every 4-5 days.
About the new litter box, I’ll definitely go ahead and do that. I’ll try out some new litter and see too while I’m at it, because I think it might be the litter too. I feel he prefers a different type. Anyway, thank you

timahsm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you using an enzymatic cleaner on the areas where he goes? If not, switch to one immediately. Although YOU won't be able to smell the pee with an ordinary cleaner, HE can, and will be attracted back to that spot.
I do not. But I do use scented cleaners in general so I’ll switch to non scented, if that will help maybe? Thank you so much!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m not sure what his issue with the old box is, I’ll check everything’s okay when I’m back home. I do clean both boxes (as in wipe it down, put soap, water etc) and fill it with new litter every 4-5 days.
About the new litter box, I’ll definitely go ahead and do that. I’ll try out some new litter and see too while I’m at it, because I think it might be the litter too. I feel he prefers a different type. Anyway, thank you
It could be something as simple as it's too busy in that area (for him) at the time of day he pees. Like maybe a cat is present in that area.

You could set up a camera and see if anyone is guarding that box.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I recommend getting some of those puppy pee pads to cover the carpeted area with. See if he still pees in the same area even if the carpet is covered. Those pee pads are also a really good way of checking to see if their urine is darker in colour than it should be, or if it contains even a tiny trace of blood.

Some rubber backed carpet retains the smell of pee no matter what you do. Once it's been peed on you really need to just toss it, because the cats will still be able to smell the old pee on it. I had a bath mat that got peed on I soaked it over night in a whole bottle of enzyme cleaner, then put it through a hot wash but the cats peed on it the second I put it back down.

Do your cats have set feeding times or do you free feed them? Do they squabble over their food at all?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do not. But I do use scented cleaners in general so I’ll switch to non scented, if that will help maybe? Thank you so much!!
If you are in the US, and probably other places, but I'm sure of US, a quick google of "enzymatic cleaners for pet urine" will give you lots of options!