Male Cat Owners

cat_scratch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you think is the percentage of males who like cats? I'm a male and I like all animals myself. Dogs, cats, varmits, and even spiders (they eat the bugs). Okay, I don't like mosquitoes, biting flies, and cockroaches. I admit it.

I actually didn't used to like cats because most cats I'd ever known were mean or liked to poop in my garden. I guess I never owned one so I didn't know they could actually make nice pets. My experience is that I didn't like digging around in soil only to find out it's not soil. I also didn't like the idea of my daughter getting toxo. (Well, not exactly, I always like to pet the nice cats).

But this all changed when my cat showed up on the back doorstep. If you remember (who would?) she had three kittens that we later found in my daughter's playhouse. They have since moved on to other families. In the meantime, Socks is very lovable. She really loves to play! My family gets a kick out of her chasing strings or playing "mousy." She even likes to play with our dog. They both like to "attack" each other. She never scratches, has a fit, or does her thing in the wrong places. Pretty much the perfect cat.

Second question... What do you think is the percentage of males who inhabit this forum?!

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad used to hate cats too, until he and my Mom got married and he fell in love with the cat he gave her as a wedding present. He's now the cat person in our family.

Hubby hates cats and had to work through his cat issues before I'd say yes to marrying him. He still doesn't like them, but he's accepted my 2 babies.

I wouldn't be able to guess at percentages though.

matty & suma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no idea on percentages, but I am a guy who absolutely loves cats!!, my dad was enver really crazy about cats growing up, he said they were too sneaky. So we always had dogs. My mom, on the other hand (they were divorced) cherished her cats. So I guess I know what side I take from.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think for sure the % is higher in females to like cats and most man don't . I don't know why ,but thats how it is . My husband did not care much for cats himself till my cats made a lover out of him and he still denie that he is one lol .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_scratch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, you know women are like cats and men are like dogs, which is why we say women get into cat fights and men *are* dogs. We like what is most like us right?

There are exceptions of course.

I'm going to venture a guess that 60% of cat lovers are women. I'm not sure that I can the reverse about dog lovers.

kidsncats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why most men don't like cats. Hmm. My husband however is a huge cat lover. He actually converted me instead of the other way around LOL. I wasn't overly fond of cats due to several bad experiences in my youth. I have now been re-educated.

dtetrev

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My hubby swears he hates cats, of course he's usually saying this while he has one of ours on thier back while he's giving them a thorough scratching. Funny I don't think they believe him either
. While there does seem to be more females then males on the boards I think there's a good number.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can tell you that my husband was the one who wanted cats. I grew up with dogs, so I hadn't ever really known cats.

As for percentages on the board, there is obviously a big gap with many more women on here than men. But we do appreciate the male perspective around here.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think men like to admit that they like cats because it might make them appear as softies. My husband was an avowed cat hater when I first met him, and now he begrudgingly admits that some cats are "OK".

Here is my "some cats are OK" husband. Look at the twinkle in his eyes:

loubelia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think my husband was overly fond of cats when I first met him, but ever since I convinced him that I could take care of Faline when she was a kitten and then when we went to the Humane Society and found Simba as a baby Siamese, he has really softened up. Now he plays with all 3 cats and dotes on Simba and Nala. I say he has become a 'good' cat daddy.

rfox

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, my hubby is basically indifferent to cats, but he does love amber.

he will be like, 'aww, look at her' if shes sleeping upside down, or doing anything cute. and he likes giving her back rubs and spinnig her around on the floor. but otherwise he is not really interested. he'll say 'yeah, that one is cute' or something.

when we first got amber though, he would explode if she did the remotest unacceptable thing. he still gets irritated but its a normal kind, where anyone would get if they found torn up napkins on the floor!

he has always, and still, wants a dog though. i told him we'll see.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband won't admit to being a cat lover, either, but I know that he does love them
- he goes out of his way to stop & pet cats wherever we go, and they really seem to like him too. Working in an animal clinic I met lots of men who love cats, but less who would call themselves cat lovers. Guess it's the popular notion that cats are for women and dogs are for men - but I really don't think that's true in real life...especially if you start discussing and praising cats' hunting and athletic skills - then suddenly it seems OK for guys to love them!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny My dad and grandfather (mom's dad) always loved and actually preferred cats. My ex boy friend could not stand them, ergo the ex, since he wanted me to choose between him and Loki.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Hell603
My ex boy friend could not stand them, ergo the ex, since he wanted me to choose between him and Loki.
That seems to have been an easy choice! LOL

My dad always said he hates cats. I found out why after many years. First, he is allergic to them - very allergic to them. But more importantly, he had a farm cat when he was growing up. A little black kitty who followed him everywhere while he was doing chores. He really loved that kitty, and when it died in a football related accident he was so devastated that he swore he would never allow another cat into his heart. Isn't that sad?

3blackcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting thread

My husband loves cats, as does my brother, father, uncles etc... I guess we are just a CAT family

Sometimes I wonder if hubby loves our kitties more than me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_scratch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that the forum is quite biased!
Of course your husbands are going to like cats (or at least tolerate them) or you probably wouldn't have one/them.

As far as the public at large, it seems that there are quite a few men that wouldn't be caught dead with a cat. I say far more than women.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to agree with cat_scratch regarding more men disliking cats. Most of the guys I've met during my lifetime dislikes cats.

My brother and brother in law doesn't like cats. My dad says he hates cats but his actions contradicts his words..My dad ALWAYS says he doesn't like cats and would go out of his way to insult them verbally with me (as a game). I'd say, "OHH look at that cat! Doesn't he look so adorable?" Dad would roll his eyes and say "He is brain dead, his breath stinks, he's dumb", etc and I'd say "He's smart! YOUR dog is Brain dead, DUMB, drools, pants like crazy and he STINKS".
That's a game we still play to this day
whenever we talk online or when I come home to visit. I'd ask him how my babies are (the two cats-Rusty & Sammy were originally "mine" until I moved away and now they are my parents' cats)and he'd say that they were brain dead as usual.

Often, Dad would walk into my room, look around,
and say, "where's that dumb cat?" and as soon as he saw the cat, he'd come over and start petting or playing with the cat. Often I'd say, "DAD! I thought u said u don't like cats?!" He would say "Of course! I DON'T like cats!" (rolling eyes).

He has a magic touch with all animals and Rusty/Sammy ADORES to sleep on him. Sometimes they would fight over who gets to sleep
with him (LITERALLY fight- I'm serious..)..
Rusty and Sammy doesn't really get along that great anyway so I guess this gives them another excuse to "bicker"....

brocken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Men may prefer dogs as outdoor companions whom they can run around with. But no matter what some men say against cats, they usually can't resist when faced with a friendly kitty - even if it's to rough-love the cat by play-fighting with it.

I've also noticed that a lot of the cat rescue networks around here have enthusiastic male volunteers who are just as open about their love for cats as they are about their sexuality.

The remainder of the men seem to have gotten involved through a wife, girlfriend, or female relative. There are many stories about men being converted to cat lovers, even if they won't admit it in public, and their cat-loving wife is a convenient cover story. ("No, not me - my wife, SHE's the cat lover...")