Male cat or Female cat-Which do you prefer???

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of each and love them both!!
Males tend to be more "needy" - like most men

Females are a little more independent (my experience).

I once thought that males had the tendency to spray and mark their territory. I caught my female cat spraying things in my garage over the years. . . . and in the basement. She christened my son's golf bag, my car tires, the lawn mower, etc. . . .

Laurie

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put that it doesn't matter, because it's really up to the individual cat's personality.

I have a male & female. Trent is my little lover-boy, and like Laurie said, he is very needy. Ophelia is more independent, but she is definitely Daddy's Girl and snuggles him a lot, demands his attention no matter what he's doing. So while I don't get as many cuddles from her, Earl does.

Sicy, you're making good progress with Zoey! It took me 3 years for Ophelia to let me kiss her, and I've had her since she was about 6 weeks old.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat, and probably the breeder you got him or her from. My Snoopy (Male Blue Point Siamese) is the sweetest most loving and most affectionate boy around. He even hugs me, by putting his "arms" around my neck, and head bunts for days. He would be happiest if I never put him down for the rest of his life. He'd rather snuggle and love, than eat.

My Shane, (Male, Seal Point Siamese) is only loving when he gets his own way, or when he gets to join me in the bathroom, which for some reason means an awful lot to him. Other times he can get irritated if I try to pet and love him. Although he does like to get on my lap.

My little Male Persian Stanley, absolutely can't stand to be held. He likes to be petted, but never does he like me to hold him, nor will he get in my lap. He is a happy greeter for me, when I get home from work, and it's cute to watch him run early to me, when I call his name. However, I would say Stanley is the most independant of my cats.

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our boy Simon is fairly affectionate (for a Ragdoll), but he is no lap cat--never has been. He does, however, want to be in the same room as someone. (He's lying next to my computer monitor right now.
). And he loves having me massage him all over his cheeks, chin, the back of his neck and his back.

We brought home his younger half-sister a week ago; so far, she is WAY more affectionate at 4-months-old than her brother was. I'm hoping that, with much love and affection from us, she will retain her sweetness streak. I've always wanted a lap kitty; so far, she is exactly that.