Male cat not recovering from blockage.

morgnsgrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 2 year old male cat had a urinary blockage last week. The vet was able to clear it and he stayed at the vet hospital for several days on a catheter waiting for his bladder to recover. It got better and he came home for one night, after which he stopped being able to pee. We took him to a different (emergency) vet, where they discovered that he was NOT blocked again, but that his bladder just doesn't have good muscle tone so it's filling up and then he can't use the muscle to squeeze out the pee. He is on several medications to help but it wasn't going enough good so now he is back at our regular vet's office on a catheter again so his bladder can stay small and maybe the muscle can heal and he can return to normal. But the vet is becoming more concerned as time goes on that maybe his bladder has just been too damaged. (We aren't sure why this would be the case, since we discovered the blockage before his kidneys were showing damage etc.)

Has anyone been through anything similar, and if so, did your cat recover? I'm heartbroken that he's going through this and a little bit of hope would go a long way.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi

I'm so sorry to hear this, i'm sure you are very worried.  I don't have experience with this so i'm hopeful that other people will contribute.  Here is a very comprehensive website that deals with FLUTD and it seems to have a lot of really good info that you can talk to your vet about.

http://www.2ndchance.info/fus.htm

There may also be a surgical option: From http://berkeley.patch.com/groups/sh...ms-dealing-with-urinary-blockage-in-male-cats

"For cats that have 2 or 3 recurrences of obstruction, your veterinarian will recommend a surgical correction of the problem with a PU (perineal urethrostomy) surgery. This procedure can be likened to a “sex change” in your male cat, and it involves the surgical widening of the urethra to make it more the size of a female urethra."

Please keep us updated.

Stephen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morgnsgrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the info. The problem currently is not that he's blocked -- if he had been blocked a second or third time we would almost definitely go with the p.u. surgery -- it's that his bladder's muscular function has been damaged. I'm wondering if anyone had a cat with the same issue (damaged bladder muscle fibers after a blockage) and if the cat recovered.