Male cat neuter help

Hjane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat was neutered on wednesday 2/27/24 . The vet sent me home with pain medicine for two which he has received both pills by now. he’s been resting and away from my other cats. she said that it’s not a very big deal if he licks the incision area, as long as it’s not excessive. but i think he might have opened his incision/stitches. Do i call them first thing tomorrow ? or is it okay? it’s day 3 of his healing time. I didn’t get the cone because they said he probably didn’t need one. I ordered recovery suit on amazon for him but won’t be here till sunday. worried he’s messed up his neuter.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My male cat was neutered on wednesday 2/27/24 . The vet sent me home with pain medicine for two which he has received both pills by now. he’s been resting and away from my other cats. she said that it’s not a very big deal if he licks the incision area, as long as it’s not excessive. but i think he might have opened his incision/stitches. Do i call them first thing tomorrow ? or is it okay? it’s day 3 of his healing time. I didn’t get the cone because they said he probably didn’t need one. I ordered recovery suit on amazon for him but won’t be here till sunday. worried he’s messed up his neuter.
Yes, I agree with nurseangel nurseangel , send the photo to your vet and hear what they say.

If everything is fine after hearing from the vet, here's a reply I made to another member regarding post neuter surgery :-

Is it infected??

'...................... It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.'

A cone is not necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hjane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would call and let them know, my biggest concern being that an open area could lead to infection. Please let us know how your guy is doing.
Thank you for your reply back!!! he’s got me on all ten toes worried and trying to watch him which isn’t the easiest thing to do! Picture was emailed to vet after phone call waiting to see!!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely send a picture to the vet and ask about it. If your concerned get it checked. But hopefully this will put your mind at rest a little. I've got 3 males all neutered and none of them have had stitches or the site glued. All have had a similar looking site. It does look like he's possibly been having a good lick at it but it doesn't look infected. Hope you hear back from the vet soon.

Last edited: