Male cat letting kitten nurse?

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 year old male cat. I recently took in a kitten that a friend's son had found, and my male cat, Gomez, is letting the kitten nurse off of him. Is this something I should be worried about?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had that happen to me one time with an 18 month old male and a 6 week old kitten. My adult actually enjoyed nursing, and the kitten was very happy about it. They formed a very strong bond as adults. I see no harm in it.

And just a warning - don't be surprised if your male starts to lactate. Given enough stimulation, they will give fluids (and leak when the kitten is not nursing). I asked a vet if there was anything nutritious about it and they honestly didn't know. I googled it a while back and didn't find the answer.

Think of it as a way for them to bond with each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it. It just seemed odd to me. Unfortunately, the little kitten is not staying.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a young kitten here as well, she was 6 weeks and she would nurse off of my yellow lab and my lab would totally let her

Of course she wasn't getting anything but she would suck away and kneed my lab's belly, it was so cute