Male cat leaking a clear, odourless, liquid from penis

Klucat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my 2 year old male cat has been leaking a clear, colourless, odorless liquid from his penis. I adopted him from the humane society about a month ago and noticed a few days after that he was leaving wet spots on every surface he sat on. He was not neutered when I got him a month ago and just got neutered yesterday. Today I noticed that he is still leaking the fluid. He leaves wet spots/"water droplets" about the size of a dime when he gets up after sitting down. I'm 100% positive it's coming from his penis and not his anal glands because I took him to see the vet 2 weeks ago and they emptied his anal glands, but the leaking was still occurring. Last week I took him back to the vet and they said he had a UTI, so they prescribed antibiotics. He's still leaking and he's been on the meds for about 4 days now.
He's been eating and drinking normal amounts, and urinating and pooping normal amounts the entire month that I've had him. Also he seems unbothered by the leaking.

Has anyone experienced this before or know what it could be?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many things that can cause this but knowing he has a UTI , if he were my kitty, I would call the vet back and let them know. The antibiotics should be helping but continued leaking is something that could indicate the need for stronger meds or perhaps other conditions. Maybe the meds need more time to work but definitely let your vet know to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Klucat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So he's been neutered about a week and a half ago and has finished his antibiotics for the UTI about a week ago. I still notice that he's leaking, but less frequently? I have a feeling now that it might just be cat ejaculate or lubrication?? Is it normal for neutered male cats to constantly be "lubricated" and leaving wet spots?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So he's been neutered about a week and a half ago and has finished his antibiotics for the UTI about a week ago. I still notice that he's leaking, but less frequently? I have a feeling now that it might just be cat ejaculate or lubrication?? Is it normal for neutered male cats to constantly be "lubricated" and leaving wet spots?
I have had many males over the years and none of them ever did that. But yours was an adult when neutered as mine have always been babies so maybe that makes a difference???

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have neutered adult males, in fact have owned less kittens than adults, and have never had a male who leaked like that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still notice that he's leaking, but less frequently?
Based on the other comments, my guess would be that the antibiotics helped with the UTI but have not cleared it entirely. Did they do a urine culture as well as the urinalysis? The urine culture goes one step further to ID the strain of the bacteria and then measure the reaction of that strain against various antibiotics to see which one are the most effective in eradicating the infection. Sometimes, specific antibiotics are needed to ensure the infection is completely gotten rid of, while others can help subdue the infection but not destroy it.